Greed turned cheese bright orange

I would like that in the mouth part of my face.

13 Likes

[quote=“emo_pinata, post:4, topic:85206, full:true”]How did neon sell?
[/quote]

6 Likes

I was just at this place today and want to throw a plug out- if you’re within a reasonable distance of this get thee here posthaste!

http://www.roguecreamery.com

Mmmmm, nothing like really good cheese.

3 Likes

I love being able to get that stuff at the store :yum:

2 Likes

C’est fromage.

2 Likes

Shelburne does make awesome cheese! Sorry about the barn :frowning:

ETA Hi, neighbor!

So glad to see VT cheddar getting nationwide props :smiley:

Come visit and take the Cabot cheese tour, where they show you what annatto looks like, and you will also learn that Cabot cheese sold nationwide is sold white, except in the midwest where they need to color it or it doesn’t sell. You’ll also learn fun facts like their cheddar cheese is lactose free, vegetarian, and kosher. Also, lots of free samples.

3 Likes

FTFY >;]P

To add to this madness, eventually oleo was allowed to be colored and since, due to shortages in real butter, the colored stuff became so, er, normal to people that spring butter, which naturally tends to white, was off-putting. So, eventually butter was colored to look like, erm, butter. And just for grins, I gather it was none other that Napoleon III who called this butter substitute into existence in the first place.

3 Likes

But I like orange colored cheese

2 Likes

This thread cheeses me off.

2 Likes

And during the war (the Big One - WWII) butter was in short supply, and this new stuff call margarine started showing up on store shelves. But the dairy farmers didn’t like it, because they were afraid that people wouldn’t come back to real butter once the war was over. So they greased (or buttered) the right palms, and laws were passed which prevented margarine makers from dying the normally off-white blocks of oleo that same yellow color as butter. The margarine makers didn’t give up. They started including packets of the yellow coloring in the margarine boxes. Housewives would mix the two, and get the golden buttery color.

2 Likes

I’ll havarti pick my words Caerphilly in käse you Camembert any more puns.

Sorry. Not sorry.

5 Likes

Pass up the chance for bad puns in a cheese thread? You know me cheddar than that.

3 Likes

Well, that was tortured …

2 Likes

But now, you can buy the same cheese, with or without the colour, at an identical price. I find this a little confusing.

Incidentally, this is the Achiote fruit that annatto comes from:

3 Likes

Alles Käse, ist mir Wurst!

3 Likes

(context)

2 Likes

Google maps says 6.22 hours. Not quite reasonable for me, but that said, I’m driving half that time one way to watch a car race this weekend.

Wait, doesn’t the internet have cheese?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.