Groove to this psychedelic McDonald's commercial from 1969

Originally published at: Groove to this psychedelic McDonald's commercial from 1969 | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Evoking the memory that this commercial was accompanied by a nation-wide tour of a little McDonaldland set on a truck which parked in the lot of restaurants and had someone continually on duty shouting at every kid not to touch the french fries.

4 Likes

Sure it seems groovy, until you learn that it’s always followed by a “bad trip” on the toilet.

6 Likes

What kind of message were they trying to send to those children? Those burgers had faces…look at those little eyes! :astonished: If I’d seen that ad as a kid, I probably would’ve consumed a lot less fast food…too bad those fries were so addictive. :yum:

7 Likes

If you click on the previous boing below the main article, you can watch and learn about why it looked like this in 1969.

IIRC Basically Sid and Marty Krofft were hired to do some of the early work in creating McDonaldland. And then they switched to another group, who took some of their work as long as borrowed from H R Puffandstuff. So much so, they got sued and had to change it all.

6 Likes

notable guitar noodling in the background

2 Likes

That triggered some memory cells in an uncomfortable way. I didn’t remember it per se but certain bits of it made my brain go “hurhg? I seen that a’fore”

3 Likes

Most of the design work was done my my former colleague from Imagineering, Wes Cook, who passed away some time ago. He also did quite a lot of the original H.R. Pufnstuf designs prior to this, and had to testify in the (rightfully brought) lawsuit Krofft brought against McDonalds… It’s all similar because the same artist did the designs!

6 Likes

5 Likes

This was from before they got Ronald the help he needed.

2 Likes

Interesting that all the food is basically being presented as vegetables.

What about Mayor McCheese and that other guy? I stand by my statement.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.