Guidelines for brutalist web design

The especially curious thing, in that context, is that the various middlemen who make a business of “present restaurant’s offerings as though you actually wanted to order from them; not know whether the margins on this week’s menu were just exquisite” often take a pretty hefty bite out of the tab for doing so.

I realize that DIY competition with someone’s fancy, VC-burning, all-aggregated app is probably out of reach; but my naive expectation would have been that more places would have adopted sanity in web design because that would encourage somewhat more direct ordering, without the middleman.

1 Like

You’re reading too much into it. It’s the “truth to materials” angle they’re going for, not a comprehensive metaphorical correspondence.

Even then, you don’t perceive “frivolity” versus “seriousness” in a typical modern site roiling with thumbnails, ads, and autoplaying videos, compared to e.g. http://motherfuckingwebsite.com/ ?

3 Likes

Executable menus with end-end encryption, proof of work with the order and progressive svg contracts down to the packaging of the food. Your food literally arrives in an invalid format fixed by the transfer of some token. You envisioned your customer with 12 cores to spare and by jove… The pdf menus are there of course so that you can get the print-quality charts etc. and click through the hundreds of references. Grab the supplemental data pdf wrap to instantiate the maker ethic you desire when ordering extra rice. Functions all have constructors for .ZahaHadidStudioAgency bc. that is the limit, for everything else is too brutal.
One may customize this with .My_Boutiquer_Just_Got_Something_From_Alexander_McQueen_And_Has_Ideas_To_Fix
Extra brutal credit for attempts to fix carbon at each successive stage of compiling WebAssembly. Maybe blow coal when running Oracle. In lieu of union bugs at the bottom of the print, of course there need to be PRUMP TUTIN (see some print fan website) and SROGRESSIVE PREED electors that override any other ad preferences (e.g. annoyance and deferences to nihilism,) including my favorite uncloseable Chrome Mobile GDPR green rectangles and half-page ads with enough text that refresh in 18s.

[Happy Vernor Vinge UCSD].
Thanks, UC! Thanks meowni.ca !

8 Likes

:wink: You forgot the sequel: http://bettermotherfuckingwebsite.com/

5 Likes

Web pages didn’t exist in the 80s, IIRC. Yes, I’m that old, too.

2 Likes

I just spent 90 minutes doing other onlinery while the Sotheby’s auction catalog* completely and utterly failed to load the pictures. They need a little Brutalism.

*Screw all you haters. I like to look at pretty rocks - in the ground, in a museum, at an auction house.

Edit: Hmmmm…this cuff bracelet reminds me of something.…I just can’t quite put my finger on it…what could it be?

There also appears to be a some slow-growing realization that static site generators like Hugo and Jekyll are better for things that don’t even need to be applications in the first place. (Why bother with security risks, performance problems, constant need for updates and maintenance, resolving dependency version incompatibilities, javascript frameworks, etc.? Just enter your content, run it through the generator, and upload it.)

It may be awhile before it catches on much outside of web developers themselves. For many people, the generators need native applications wrapping them to manage the content, templates, and publishing (but not like DreamWeaver!). And there are many relatively cheap site-as-a-service providers now that compete for that type of site. Although they come with many of the same problems as web applications, most people wouldn’t realize that.

5 Likes

That “while” being however long the words “If you already have a full Ruby development environment” are in the first sentence of the quick-start guide. Hell, I am a web developer and I’m put off by that.

3 Likes

I was not even thinking about the middleman element. Just commenting on what every pub/restaurant around here does on its wbesite when I want to look at their menu before deciding to arrange to meet friends there for a meal. Drives me mad.

I never have any idea what you are talking about but it makes for a genuinely intriguing and entertaining word salad.

4 Likes

If anyone is interested in the environmental cost of running a web site, this article both talks about reducing the footprint of WordPress, and links to a bunch of interesting resources.

3 Likes

There were none. CERN put the first page online on 6 August 1991. Before then there was no web, although the internet had existed for two decades by that point.

6 Likes

There’s a statue of Dr. Seuss and the Cat in the Hat at the base.
…BRUTAL!

5 Likes

If you liked the movie Helvetica you might like Linotype: The Movie There is a section in the film where they journey to Linotype GMBH where they have a large archive of typesets designed for different alphabets.

3 Likes
3 Likes

I was going to like that, but I figured that a post about a fontcast with only one fan should have only one like.

2 Likes

ASCII art generator for geeks! - Convert images/pictures to ASCII art online! (HTML/text)

1 Like

They should actually be displayed in a small but readably printed line directly under the page header. Together with address and phone number. Footer is also acceptable - on non-scrolling pages. Anything else should be treated as highly suspect and probably be reported to the authorities.

3 Likes

CERN had the first webpage in '91
Town adoption of HyperCard, cast occasionally back and forth to 1-2-3 couldn’t possibly have been a thing. The Minitels…weren’t real. Something in the water and VOIVOD liner notes. Nobody ever made a modem with a microcontroller in it whose &AT commands mysteriously expanded to local-loop app distribution. Banyan Vines was a thing for the two weeks between the standard publication and a Federal Deprecation. We don’t know anything about those WELL things you heard of, either.

1 Like

It was just BBSes in the 80s. Gopher and web were early 90’s. Gopher got the lead (barely) but it didn’t last long. For a short time, however, there were way more resources on Gopher than the web. Most of us were still operating in full-screen text mode back then anyway. It wasn’t really until Windows 95 came out that the web took off.

2 Likes