Gun instructor shot dead by 9-year-old with Uzi

once, in this country, for a short period of time, we had the notion that kids, even when they were involved in crime, were different from adults. Today? I’m not so sure.

Judge rules white girl will be tried as black adult

1 Like

In law, it requires intent.

In law in practice, it requires status considerations, so a black trans womon defending herself against neo-Nazis can be railroaded, while a white police officer can be protected.

In English, it requires a death, and it can refer to any time one person kills another, because it comes from the PIE and PGmc root meaning death, and because it has held this meaning all along. (Sorry, but proponents of war and execution say the rest of us are using new meanings we’ve just invented, instead of old and continuously-used meanings we’ve learned from childhood.) Which is why we have phrases like “murder in self defense.”

2 Likes

No way anyone could have predicted this? Something very similar happened in Massachussets in 2008. Only that kid killed himself instead of the instructor.

Why assume the rules of the shooting range were appropriate? It seems clear they weren’t. She may have been within the rules, but the rules seemed oblivious to known dangers of the industry.

3 Likes

The shooting happened at a place called “Bullets and Burgers”. That phrase pretty much sums up this country.

That’s the funny thing about absolute, individualistic freedom. It only works if everyone follows the rules. all the time. and NEVER messes up. Sure, “boo, irresponsible trainer, bad apple” etc, etc…but you know what? A lot of people suck at their jobs, a lot of kids suck at being trained to do really careful stuff, people get tired, people get lazy, people have a fight with their spouse, their dog dies, their truck stops working, and they go a little nuts. Some people have a drastic change in mental state that alters their judgement for a variety of reasons. If your idea of “fun” is frisbee golf, the worst case scenario is someone gets beaned in the head. Worst case scenario when fully automatic weapons are a freely available pasttime - dead person, shattered child and incredibly icky political posturing for weeks.

5 Likes

Well, in this country, you just can’t have the perception that firearms usage leads to unfortunate moral and legal consequences, as that would chill second amendment rights–apparently defined as the right to fire without a thought.

2 Likes

Was that the ancient Greek tailor-philosopher Euripides Eumenedes?

17 Likes

Nuclear weapons?

It’s not just the experience - it’s simply a question of body mass / muscle strength to keep the thing under control.

2 Likes

I’m with you, more or less. I can even see teaching your kid to shoot something age-appropriate. Seems sometimes like I was the only kid that didn’t long for (and get) a BB gun growing up. Handing an Uzi to a 9-year-old is the part I can’t wrap my head around. Might as well put her behind the wheel of a racecar. There’s just no possible way she can control it.

2 Likes

My main association with the Uzi is that back in the day when we had the draft and the Uzi was the standard submachine gun in the German army, all my friends who served in the military seemed to agree that those were not to be trusted and the scariest of the standard weapons by a wide margin.

1 Like

It’s not about age, it’s about experience

Fucking brilliant.

Most Onion articles have their entire punchline in the title, and the body is just poor re-hashing of the same joke. This one gets significantly better as it goes on.

The shoot sideways thing actually comes with the first submachine guns during the World Wars IIRC. Apparently the recoil was completely unmanageable and it was the only effective way to shoot more than a few rounds.

I have fired both the 9mm UZI pistol & the same weapon with the 45 caliber conversion kit applied. But I was a 18 year old & already familiarized with firearms.

I have also been 9 years old & known many 9 year old children.

No 9 year old has any business firing, learning to fire, handling or having its handling demonstrated, this automatic machine pistol, under any rational circumstance.

A very sad & entirely preventable outcome of poor judgement by many persons involved & an entire misguided culture. At least the child was not physically harmed.

2 Likes

At least

All Right, Full Auto

will look REALLY COOL on his tombstone.

Had the range had enough precautions in place at any time past or present, these were likely eroded over time with the very attitude of the environment.

“Bullets & Burgers” does not evoke visions of attentive, sober activity, rather the opposite.

3 Likes

Boy howdy, it sure would be a constitutional crisis to put an age limit on who can be at a shooting range. Kind of like the political hot-button of limiting minor’s access to taverns or strip clubs or any number of less dangerous places than a shooting range!

I’m not interested in why this particular instructor thought it was a good idea to put this weapon in this girl’s hands. I’m interested in why alcohol and R rated movies are easier to keep children away from than commercial shooting establishments. There’s just not enough facepalm on teh webs for this!

9 Likes

Childhood’s End. Terrible and tragic.

Because the Forefathers did not put strippers in the Constitution, and the Constitution was written directly from the voice of God.

This is why my $499.99 stroller adapter kit, which allows any infant to easily shoot a semi-automatic by sucking hard on a pacifier, will always be upheld by the Supreme Court, by the grace of God.

2 Likes