Gun manufacturer sent thousands of random cartoons to Sandy Hook families in court filing

Originally published at: Gun manufacturer sent thousands of random cartoons to Sandy Hook families in court filing | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Judges have to discretion to impose penalties for non-compliance with court orders. If I were the judge in this case, I’d think $10,000 per cartoon was a reasonable penalty.

39 Likes

A scummy company in a scummy industry. I hope to see the day when it’s as declasse for a corporation to sell personal firearms as it is to sell tobacco products (it’s a forlorn hope, of course, because Murika).

24 Likes

So it sure sounds like Remington’s lawyers submitted 30,000+ irrelevant random documents just to hold off the process even more,

IANL . . . how is this not actionable?

18 Likes

Contempt of court is a hell of a weapon, they could find the execs, or at least the principals at the law firm to be responsible.

Wasn’t there an article here a while back about a guy in jail for decades for contempt?

12 Likes

Except they didn’t send 30k irrelevant, random documents. According to the NPR article, the plaintiff’s attorneys specifically requested a complete history of Remington’s entire social media presence, including “full access to user comments, video playback and image metadata.” I am NOT defending Remington by any means, but the plaintiff’s attorneys got outplayed on this one. They got exactly what they asked for. It’s almost like they have no idea how social media works.

16 Likes

It really hinges on whether or not they also produced all of the requested information along with everything else. If they failed to submit some things that are particularly damning and instead submitted a bunch of other stuff because it technically fell within the scope of the request, that’s a problem. The lawyers for the families are accusing Remington of doing the latter.

14 Likes

What have they hidden in all that cruft?

2 Likes

Well, that’s something to train an AI on. Not sure what you’d be training it for, though…

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s the take I’m seeing from lawyers like Popehat: this is the result (and an extremely common one) of an overbroad request from the plaintiff. There are a hell of a lot of reasons to be outraged at Remington, but this isn’t one of them.

1 Like

11 posts were split to a new topic: Gun Legality :speaking_head::gun:

ETA - posted after the split - deleted here, moved to there.

Definitely; happens all the time. The most common reasons are that the product was dangerously faulty; marketed for uses it was not intended for; causing harm, or for fraudulent sales practices for profit. This suit would fall under #2. Remington marketed this product as a tactical weapon meant for killing a lot of people in a short period of time. When someone took them up on that product concept, it resulted in the deaths and injury of dozens of kids.

It’s up to a jury whether the plaintiffs can prove their case, but there is certainly merit to the suit. It’s definitely not just grieving parents “trying to do something.”

In the US, you have to:

1. Have a pulse.

That’s it. With the private sale loophole, anyone can get any weapon someone is willing to sell privately. Heck, they don’t even need to have the money for it if they can convince a friend or relative to buy it for them.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.