GURPS Banestorm PBBB narrative thread

Nicolas de Courcy

“A word from the experienced, drinking from unknown bottles rarely ends well,” he says sifting through the collection of containers.

“Although…I am a little fuzzy on how it does end to be honest.”

De Courcy prods through a few more jars and bottles, before giving up.

“Not much here, shall we move on?”

"Not much here,

@nimelennar @Daaksyde @Mitchell @William_George @daneel

GM POST

“Certainly”, replies Aronn, heading back out to the large chamber.

Forming up, you see that the chamber continues to the right as it had before, leading to a pair of 45 degree left angles. Once again, an open doorway leads to a short flight of stairs heading up.

(GM note: Hawk, you managed to get back to 4FP while the others were futzing about with the bottles and jars. Also, who’s carrying them? There are nine bottles and four jars; they weigh half a pound apiece)

Thwip

Thwip hands off his two vials to whoever looks willing to take them.

“I tink tis green one is fir Sailors Sack. Mebbe useful back in t’ city.”

He then follows Jabril to look up the stairs, weapon at the ready. He crosses to the opposite side of the door and crouches as he peers in around the corner. He studies the steps carefully. He looks for smooth depressions that may indicate they have been used over centuries. He looks for cracks that may indicate heavy things using them. He searches for crushed skeletons poking out from under heavy stones. He may not know much about traps but he knows a successful one when he sees it.

GM POST

Examining the stairs reveals nothing unusual. They show signs of age and use, but are in fairly good condition. Like before, they rise to about the height of the door lintel before opening into a passageway.

Jibrīl Al-Las’as

Jibrīl cautiously leads the way upstairs again.

Thwip

Thwip cautiously follows Jabril’s cautious lead.

1 Like

GM POST

A metal door leads from each side. Both are closed, both have keyholes and handles.

Jibrīl Al-Las’as

Jibrīl tries the left hand door. If locked, he tries to pick it.

Jibrīl Al-Las’as

Jibrīl picks the lock and turns to the others - this one was more complex, perhaps there is something of more value in here? Are we ready to go in?

After they indicate their readiness, he opens the door.

GM POST

Opening the door reveals a long, spacious room, the rear wall of which is lost in the gloom.

Metal racks and cabinets fill the room. It appears that they were designed to hold a large collection of delicate objects of varying size. Some parts look like scroll racks, some parts look as if they were designed to hold spears. Some cabinet doors rest ajar, some are still closed.

However, what those objects were is a mystery; the racks lie empty, bearing nothing but a thick layer of dust.

Aronn’s eyes light up. “Look around here carefully; this may be what we’re after”, he croaks.

“A small chest, fairly plain, about a foot across.” he pauses to cough in the rising dust. “It may be hidden.”

Blue Hawk

Hawk lays down the bottles and vials of potions outside the door and steps in cautiously. He hopes that what they’re looking for is in here; he doesn’t want to have to face down another spider.

He pokes the haft of his spear into various crevices to look for anything that might be hidden.

“It seems this place was cleaned out well. Do you know the box you look for is still here?”

Jibrīl Al-Las’as

Jibrīl carefully searches through the room, looking in the cabinets.

“What’s in this chest, anyway? Is it likely that anyone will object to us taking it?”

GM POST

“I don’t see anyone here apart from our webby friend back there, and I doubt that she’d object” replies Aronn. “The box might be here, or it might not; look.”

Searching through the shelves and cabinets, you mostly find nothing but layers of grime. At one point, you find what looks like a scroll in the back of a cabinet, but it crumbles to dust on touch.

Thwip

Thwip pats around his pockets until he finds his burning glass again. He then proceeds to walk along the walls, inspecting them carefully. He adds tapping to his investigative toolbox. Moving what can be moved, reaching into the back of what can be reached into. Staring intensely at anything that seems out of place.

“Mebbe sum won shouldt check t’ floor fir hidey holes.” he suggests.

Tap tap. Tap tap.

GM POST

A lengthy bout of searching and tapping reveals a cabinet that drums slightly when the base is tapped. There may be a compartment in there somewhere.

Thwip

Thwip calls out to Jabril, recognizing his expertise in matters involving opening things, “Coult y’ come see tis? I tink I foundt some ting.”

Jibrīl Al-Las’as

Jibrīl takes a look…

“I’ll see what I can do, can’t see a lock or anything, but maybe we can force this open?”

GM POST

Examining the cabinet closely, Jibril discovers what appears to be a hidden latch underneath.

Jibrīl Al-Las’as

With a glance at Arron to check, and after making sure he’s not pointing it at anyone, Jibrīl carefully opens the latch.

GM POST

As he carefully depresses the latch, Jibrīl hears a click from the mechanism. As it clicks, a needle springs from the latch, piercing Jibrīl’s finger.