The Sundered Land

I’m a warrior seeking peace and an end to bloodshed. I’m on pilgrimage to the Temple to No Gods in the distant City of Gulls. My pilgrimage has brought me to the Ragged Forest, inhabited by the murder-cult of the ungod of spiders. My goal is to pass safely through and continue my pilgrimage.

You, my friends online, play the world. Your goal is to see me to my doom, instead of safely on my way. You’re allowed only to directly answer my direct questions, though, so you might not be able to do it.

The rules:

1. Only answer my questions.
  2. If you don’t already know the answer, make something up.
  3. Keep your answers short.
  4. If your answer’s disruptive, I’m allowed to ignore it.
  5. Otherwise, I have to go with the first answer somebody gives. I’ll “Like” it.
  6. You may subscribe to this thread if you like. Please use the sentence ‘no gods watch over you’ if you want to show that you are. (This is the only optional rule.)

I have wealth hidden in my clothing and very long hair, uncut, unbound.

I have been walking through the Ragged Forest for two days and I have come to the first waterfall of the Kepwan. My shoes lie on the rocks beside me, and the cold clear water is washing the weariness from my toes and ankles.

Something warns me of approaching danger. What warns me? Anyone should answer.

3 Likes

A strange silence blankets the waterfall, and a foul stench erupts from the depth of the pool under under the waterfall of the Kewpan.

(Am I doing it right?)

2 Likes

[quote=“LDoBe, post:2, topic:68711, full:true”]
A strange silence blankets the waterfall, and a foul stench erupts from the depth of the pool under under the waterfall of the Kewpan.[/quote]

Startled, I yank my feet from the pool and reflexively sweep my shoes close to my chest. Perhaps against my better judgement, I stare deeply into the pool.

Something swirls beneath the storm of fetid bubbles and rises from the depths.

I recognize it. What do I see?

Anyone may answer.

A sword! The Green Destiny sword, no less. But it doesn’t look that impressive right now.

This rusty old thing can be restored, but you’ll need to find a master smith.

And retrieving it from the water may not be as simple as it looks…the sword didn’t cause the disruption…

(Are my years playing Super Zedla Mans showing through?)

1 Like

Another reminder of the evil my hand has wrought.

I must be subconsciously drawn to their power, and the legendary sword that exterminated the ancient Green clan is undoubtedly powerful.

Leaving it here within reach of the murder-cult would probably be irresponsible. I can carry it for a while, until I can find a suitable way to dispose of it.

What prevents me from just grabbing the sword?

Anyone should answer.

OOC: Don’t edit your post once I like it, I may miss details! Otherwise, carry on because you guys are awesome.

2 Likes

Okay, how about:

The angry looking dwarf with her crossbow levelled at your groin.

1 Like

Another seeker, though maybe not of peace and an end to bloodshed like myself.

“Is this your sword, Datucca?” I ask, careful to use the common honorific of her people… Doubly careful to keep my shoes and fingers in view, I back away.

What is her reply?

Anyone should answer.

OOC: After 12h of inactivity, I’m giving this one bump before it sinks to the depths forever.

Also, there are no rules restricting the number of times you can answer questions, in a row or overall.

1 Like

"I want neither the sword in the pool nor the dagger in your pants, d’hoinne."

“But I hear tell there’s a bounty on your hide. That true?”

1 Like

It most certainly is true, but I thought that I would escape at least one of these bounties by cutting through the Ragged Forest.

“Ah, I see that my past continues to haunt me. I assure you that I am unarmed and not likely to run.”

“I surrender to your custody, but what is your plan to avoid the pious of the ungod of spiders’?”

1 Like

“You’ll see when, and if, it comes to that. You might as well grab that bar of rust in the pool that you w’re eyeing, you might be able to hock it and save yourself an ear.”

“Time to go.”

1 Like

Calmly, I step into the pool and grab the Green Destiny Sword.

It’s power floods through me and the smell of death hijacks my senses. The sword seems to pulse in my grip as the world fades into vision.

What do I see?

Anyone should answer.

Snow and ice, as far as the eyes can see, in all directions.

2 Likes

A chill wind wafts the stench of a battlefield to my nose. Something nags at my brain.

Why is this familiar to me?

Anyone should answer.

OOC: Rule 1: Only answer my questions.

Please direct complaints about the smell to @LDoBe in post #2

1 Like

The field is the plains of death. They are familiar to all warriors, as the landscape of Hel, where all who fight go. After the Ragnarok.

Troubling. I hope that Hel remains for me farther than the Temple of No Gods.

I reassert myself and come to on the shore, in the third form of the old swordsmans kata. My hair has fallen across my eyes and I stand barefoot in the mud by the pool.

“Well then, Datucca, lead on.” I say, binding the Green Destiny Sword to my back in my cloak.

My captor gestures me forward, to the east, and we pass silently into the woods.

We have only been walking for a few hours when the hair on the back of my neck go up.

Is there something out there?

Anyone should answer.

No. There is nothing out there. But there is something watching you. You carry it, as a heavy burden. A corrupting presence within the Green Destiny Sword.

1 Like

I call for my companion to rest, as the psychic weight of the sword pulls at my soul.

I rest my arm against a tree and focus my inner mind upon what the Green Destiny Sword is trying to tell me.

The dwarf looks around anxiously at the surroundings.

What is she worried about? @miasm should answer.

What does the sword tell me? Anyone should answer.

A deep infrasonic rumble breaks into perception, emanating from the treeline. As it grows, trees begin to shift as if caught in some abysmal wind, shaking free a flock of small birds who screech and chatter as they escape into the sky.
The noise and shaking die away for a beat, the sudden silence deafening before a cataclysmic eruption rends the earth and trees from their place in a mighty explosion, spewing detritus and smoke high into the sky.

Something very large and angry screams, obscured by the wreath of blanketing cloud. The terrible beast begins to tear through the trees deeper into the forest, leaving a smoking furrow in its wake, mighty, ancient trees of the old wood snapped and broken like matchsticks.

Cowering from behind a handy rock, the wide-eyed dwarf takes out a pipe and begins to furiously but uselessly draw upon it, having clean forgotten to light the thing.

Puffing into the air the dwarf remarks “Well, I don’t think anyone expected that to happen!”

4 Likes