Guy plays games on his restored 1960s computer

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/12/guy-plays-games-on-his-restore.html

7 Likes

Fascinating.

A mere 1200 watts!

5 Likes

Can it run Crysis?

3 Likes

it can, how much time you got?

5 Likes

Before I played the video, I figured it was a pachinko machine.

ya, that surprised me. magnetic core is forever (approximately) I guess

1 Like

Sure, you just have to transcribe it to paper tape first.

1 Like

Only 300lbs too. The laptop of its era.

3 Likes

I’m just going to give my desktop computer the most loving of caresses.

3 Likes

When I signed up for the Navy I told them I wanted to work on computers, thinking of modern PC’s, and instead I was stuck working on a computer similar to that.

6 Likes

That’s not the Lunar Lander I had in mind. Talk about anticlimactic

2 Likes

The military is the ultimate in granting wishes monkey-paw style.

5 Likes

Wow. No wonder science fiction, movies and television of the 1960s predicted future computers would be metallic gods tended by a white-coated technological priesthood engaged in arcane rituals.

3 Likes

This computer was actually more representative of the “computer lib” (yes that term was actually used) movement. The operations depicted would have been quite similar to booting up an Altair or Imsai personal computer of the 1970s, or of a DEC PDP-11; this is a single user or single task system. The “priesthood” aura came from data centres where you would take your program listings or punch card stacks, hand them to an operator or clerk and come back the next day to get the output. You might never see any actual computing hardware on such a visit. The thought of a regular “user” getting anywhere near an IBM 360 control panel was not entertained :slight_smile:

3 Likes

He is likely to be eaten by a grue.

6 Likes

m2l7jwi3kp0vk30j

11 Likes

Benedict Cumberbatch’s mom!

2 Likes

Close. Benedict Cumberbatch’s mum.

4 Likes

That was known as The Era of Big Laps.

Now The Prisoner drum-driven theme song is in my head.

This computer was released in 1967

Actual creepy-crawly bugs can screw with it!

2 Likes