@GuyInYourMFA is pitch-perfect satire

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/10/12/guyinyourmfa-is-pitch-perfect.html

7 Likes

Somewhere out there, Anthony Doerr is taking frantic notes.

2 Likes

I guess it’s funny, but it seems to me the lesson lurking behind it is that your every attempt at creative expression will be a pathetic failure worthy only of mockery and that it is best not to even try.

1 Like

Sorry for being so dense/unhip, but would someone care to explain what “MFA” means in this context?

4 Likes

I’m assuming…

7 Likes

I’d go with @daneel, but here are some other options:

Master of Fine Arts

Multi-Fiber Arrangement

Midwest Finance Association

Medic First Aid

America First Mortgage Investments, Inc.

Museum of Fine Arts

Midwest Footbag Association

Modify Field Attribute

Multi-Function Actuator

Medicated Feed Application number

Maneuver Functional Area

Materiel Fielding Agreement

MultiFunction Attachment

Manned Flight Awareness

Management Functional Area

Mean Flourescence Activity

Mother Fucking Asshole

Missouri Farmers Association

Material Flow Analysis

Majin Federation Army

Mcdonald Family And Associates

Missouri Farm Assoc

Merchant Fleet Archiver

Merchant Fleet Auxiliary

Master Of Fine Art

The Movie Fan Academy

Mafia Island, Tanzania

9 Likes

I think the lesson is for aspirants not to act like hot shit. It’s good advice.

11 Likes

It’s a post-graduate program where you delay your career by studying in close proximity with people you despise to get a degree that’s necessary to land a job doing work you don’t really need an MFA for.

16 Likes

This. Write because you like to write, not because you think you’re some intellectual giant who’s somehow above the fray.

5 Likes

Interesting. This motherfucking asshole isn’t just a Master of Fine Arts student, he also likes to play hackysack (footbag) on his farm in Missouri.

2 Likes

it seems to me the lesson lurking behind it is that your every attempt at creative expression will be a pathetic failure worthy only of mockery and that it is best not to even try.

Wow, please try again, because that is so NOT the lesson.

6 Likes

It may not be the intended lesson, but for some of us it’s the truth. :disappointed:

4 Likes

If one were to write a parody of one of these pretentious hipster books that isn’t even good, just ultra-white people being super duper ultra white, and it were received earnestly and with great critical acclaim, would that be a success or a failure?

4 Likes

Yes.

(BB filler.)

3 Likes

I can’t see “MFA” without immediately thinking “multifactor authentication”… sigh.

4 Likes

I think someone fed a deep learning script every conversation I ever had with my university roommate’s boyfriend.

2 Likes

Too long for a philosoraptor meme… try again!

1 Like

I think I’ve read that book. Someone I know wrote it, which is almost certainly the only reason I’ve read it.

2 Likes

The lesson is to create to make yourself happy and not take “cool guy” photos in a leather jacket to put on the dustjacket and maybe the womanizing alcoholic past his prime voice is overrepresented in “write what you know!” programs.

2 Likes

“Where’d You Go, Bernadette: A Novel”?

Or are you thinking more Less Than Zero?