HACKED: German Chancellor Angela Merkel and hundreds of government officials

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/04/merkel-germany-hacked.html

2 Likes

Why am I not surprised?

12 Likes

Really makes you think, doesn´t it?
I mean its rumoured that the AfD or at least parts of it, are payed by Moscow.
Could be an coincidence of course, and maybe the cybersecurity of the AfD is just better than everybody elses…
Yeah right…

9 Likes

If I was a hostile foreign actor, leaving a blatant hint like not targetting the AfD is exactly what I would do. Doesn’t matter if I agree with them at all, the confusion and suspicion it creates is its own reward.

3 Likes

Euro-fash-trash get support from the American far-right too.

5 Likes

Henceforth, such data dumps shall be known as “data Drumpfs”.

1 Like

This isn’t her first hacking, is it? Have the Germans learned nothing?

1 Like
2 Likes

The other notorious case was when crackers infiltrated some systems at the federal parliament (Bundestag). These two incidents likely have nothing to do with each other.

The politicians shouldn’t need to worry. After all, decent people who have nothing to hide have nothing to fear when others get to read their private data. Or so we’ve been told many times … by the politicians.

2 Likes

Except in that they didn’t improve their security after the first one.

Yup. I have zero sympathy for any of the politicians who voted for the state trojan law. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

1 Like

So far it seems that the Bundestag’s systems aren’t involved in the current clusterfsck. As far as I’m concerned, the most likely explanation for that is that some politicians are now finding out the hard way that “123456” isn’t a great password.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Or that people don’t attack their own when doing something nefarious.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.