Halt and Catch Fire: The Most Relevant Show on Television

what is this “front page” you are talking about?

6 Likes

I want to take back all the shit I said about this show on these boards on the season 2 preview article!

Season 1 was meh but season 2 was great. Looking forward to catching the new season!

YES. Sometimes one gets doubled-up and the rest are all shifted, one video off.

1 Like

Thats not eyebrows these are eyebrows.

4 Likes

5 Likes

The only reasons people did it on the NES due to the design defect in the way the carts loaded that had a high failure rate. Atari 2600 carts didn’t fail in any level like the NES did and blowing to “pray to the gaming gods” to get your game working didn’t really become a thing until after NES was big. Hell most Atari carts didn’t have exposed boards at least until after Activision started making games.

Possibly a decade later after the NES was a thing and 2600s were starting to rust you got NES kids blowing on Atari carts but it wasn’t really a thing in the late 70s and 80s.

In the case of Mr Robot the very concept of a OS wedge to start silently encrypting servers is not all that unplausable a concept. While a worm on a C64 is kinda stretching it to CSI levels. Yes you can get some sort of memory resident system in the 1541 disk drive but it aint going far. You are not going to do that by accident like the character in HACF did.

Most of the concepts of the hacks in Mr Robot are not Unplausible and they make far more of an effort that most productions.

2 Likes

Yeah, Monday, August 23rd, 2021.

I have to ask…do any of the characters on the show wear Garanimals?

3 Likes

I was a teen in the 80s. We called those hold outs 70s leftovers.

1 Like

Hey! They film around the ATL area… I wonder if they can use a historian! :wink:

1 Like

So… here is a question I don’t think we ask much when we’re talking about TV shows set in the past… How important is historical accuracy (in this case computing concepts and terminology, but also clothing, artifacts, etc) in television shows like this one? Does it matter if they actively reflect the past accurately in their story telling or is that secondary, since it’s almost always more about now than then the past?

I put it on a sliding scale. It matters to me mainly in the suspensions of disbelief department, and even more so if inaccurate details reinforce bad stereotypes.

2 Likes

If suddenly a plot line involving Eastern European punk rockers is introduced I’ll probably be able to guess who got hired…

2 Likes

2 Likes

I’ve been more or less binging this show since reading this post on BB. I love it (it’s great!), and I regret writing it off a couple years ago when I had first heard of it.

It seems like every cast member is giving us a great performance, but I must say that, in particular, Toby Huss is a brilliant, multifaceted actor. While he’s done much with hardly enough recognition, he is beloved by many from my generation for his portrayal of Artie, strongest man in the the world, on “The Adventures of Pete & Pete”

2 Likes

Some of us were around the bend and ahead of the hipster curve. I was a leather jacket and combat boots punk in the early 80’s and grew my 1st beard in 88. It’s been permanent since the mid 90’s. And as a design student at an engineering school in the early 80’s I can tell you for a fact that beards were common among the hackers, mostly so they didn’t have to shave. I knew some guys with full on ZZ Tops. Just looked at a year pic of my house, of 46 guys, there were 8 beards and 8 mustaches.

3 Likes

Different area of the country then.

I was a leather jacket, combat booted, hitchhiking gutter punk in the 80s. We only had beards when we couldn’t shave. We weren’t students, so that might have been the difference. We were more the homeless pan handling types. That should tell you how we collectively felt about it because we were often homeless and still shaved.

2 Likes

A good time to plug an awesome obscure bio of Danny McGoorty, a billiard hustler from the early 1900’s. He was a degenerate alcoholic and homeless much of the time, but always made sure he had a clean shirt, suit, and a shave, no matter how bad his hangover. He would ride the rails in a mechanic’s coverall over his suit. He was also a riot.

“I have never liked working. To me a job is an invasion of privacy.”
“In the old days, women wore so many girdles, corsets, pantaloons, bloomers, stockings, Garters, step-ins and God knows what all that you had to practically be a prospector to get to first base, to even find first base.”

Oh yeah, and compared to you I was a poser even though I lived in NYC and worked in the arts.

2 Likes

When I was a kid, words like poser had more meaning. These days I am finding a certain commonality of culture from anyone that was a part of that subculture. Whether they were street kids or college students with financially stable parents.

Shaving while on the street was useful. Folks tend to let you closer to their garbage cans before calling the cops.

I work for “The Man” with serious capital letters now, so I guess I’m a sell out. :slight_smile:

2 Likes
2 Likes