Hamilton's eerie relevance to this moment in America's terrifying political journey

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/12/02/hamiltons-eerie-relevance-to.html

1 Like

The track An Open Letter (which begins “To the fat, arrogant…”) is very relevant as well, and lots of fun.

Among all the talented voices on the album, one of my favorite tracks is the last one, Chance the Rapper’s version of Dear Theodosia. It’s unpolished, tender, and lovely, a dad really singing to his new child.

7 Likes

Hamilton? Come on! Nobody cares about some town in Canada!

See Trump instead! President Trump’s musical is the best musical! It’s the only musical with Trump about Trump written by Trump all by himself with no help from anyone! It’s got all the best music and the female backing dancers are tremendous, world class. Not a 7 in the bunch, believe me. All 10s, straight from Latvia!

26 Likes

I’ve been finding solace in the Library of America’s volume of Thomas Paine’s writings. Especially The Rights of Man, where he repeatedly savages Edmund Burke for misrepresenting the French Revolution and for being a monarchist shitbag and a poor stylist to boot. Good times!

A lot of Paine’s cavils against tyranny and his praise of republicanism–the res publica version, not our corporate fascist Republicanism of today–are relevant, if not striking.

12 Likes

Outrun (outrun)
Outlast (outlast)
Hit ‘em quick, get out fast (uh-huh)
Stay alive ‘til this horror show is past
We’re gonna fly a lot of flags half-mast
(Yeah)

9 Likes

These are the times that try men’s souls.

8 Likes

His rap albums were pretty good, too, particularly 1794’s Bring the Paine.

18 Likes

As one of those who likes to wait and see it cold and fresh, I hope it makes it to the theater or broadcast in the near future before it loses its luster.

1 Like

I always preferred the double album Age of Steezin, the first part of which came out in 1794-5, the second part following, after a hiatus due to controversy over the work’s critique of organized religion and its advocacy of “pure mad republican rhymes, / in all ages and all climes,” in 1807.

But Paine lost a lot of fans after those, and that was sadly the end of his recording career.

6 Likes

I’m incredibly excited to see this with my family next year and hope my niece and nephew respond like your daughter did. Now more than ever, young people need to be reminded of this country’s core Constitutional values and history.

4 Likes

That was a good bit of writing there Coreow.

5 Likes

I’m the same way; I don’t like listening to soundtracks until after I see the musical they’re based on.

It’s going on tour shortly.

Sadly, not coming north of the border just yet.

2 Likes

We won! We won!

Not yet.

(It’s even more poignant in the remix)

Can someone explain to me what this is? Wikipedia just leaves me all the more confused. The last musical theater thing that even remotely piqued my interest was Avenue Q. Broadway/musicals have never held much interest to me.

All I can glean is something something Alexander Hamilton, rapping, and impossible to get tickets.

3 Likes

4 Likes

This is probably a horribly crotchety cranky old person thing to say, but man am I tired of hearing about Hamilton.

And these bunions, oy!

3 Likes

It’s on Spotify. Many musicals don’t make sense with just the soundtrack-you need the lines in between to understand what was going on. However Hamilton works well - the soundtrack gives you everything you want.

Looking forward to it opening here in London

5 Likes

As a Hamilton fan trying to think of ways to oppose Trump, you should support an effort to stop Trump by using the Electoral College as Hamilton intended. Hillary Clinton could draft a moderate Republican (say Mitt Romney) and ask all her electors to vote for him. This would be historically unprecedented, but then again the opposition to the President Elect within his own party is also unprecedented. Substituting a moderate Republican (one who was their nominee 4 years ago and received 61 million votes) would almost certainly prevent Trump from becoming president.

1 Like

It’s the life story of Alexander Hamilton told by a diverse cast through rap and lots of singing. By no means is it a “rap musical”; the songs are terrifically catchy. It’s really the story of America told in microcosm. Exciting, fun, funny, heartbreaking, and some of the best music I’ve heard in a musical in many years. The “mixtape” is a new album of covers and new versions of the songs.

6 Likes

hamilton is bad and dumb