Happy Public Domain day! Here are the works entering the public domain in Canada and the EU, but not the USA, where the public domain is stagnant

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/12/31/life-plus-70.html

7 Likes

Great news (as I am in the EU), but reading some of the titles does make me feel old.

GLASGOW (n.)
The feeling of infinite sadness engendered when walking through a place
filled with happy people fifteen years younger than yourself.

(Douglas Adams, John Lloyd - The Meaning of Liff)

11 Likes

The Stanford Copyright Renewal Database is a useful tool for checking renewals. AFAIK the original copyright registrations are only available in non-machine-searchable PDF scans of the original paper lists, but hopefully someone is working on that.

Stanford’s Copyright Renewal Database is a searchable index of the copyright renewal records for books published in the US between 1923 and 1963. Note that the database includes only renewal records, not original registrations, and only Class A (book) renewals received by the US Copyright Office between 1950 and 1992.

The period from 1923-1963 is of special interest for US copyrights, as works published after January 1, 1964 had their copyrights automatically renewed by statute, and works published before 1923 have generally fallen into the public domain. Between those dates, determining whether a work’s registration was renewed as required has been a challenge. Renewals received by the Copyright Office after 1977 are searchable in an online database, but renewals received between 1950 and 1977 were distributed only in a semi-annual print publication which has not been made searchable. The Copyright Renewal Database brings those records together in a searchable format.

7 Likes

The paradox that I can excerpt Dorothy Parker so long as you promise not to read it does not escape me.

6 Likes

http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders/documents/a1_8_8s12.html

Yet another reason to get that VPN up and running I suppose…

2 Likes
3 Likes

I’m afraid it will be 95 years before readers in the US can see my comment but for the rest of us let’s just carry on and leave them thinking they have a future.

5 Likes

Public domain in France is a bit different, it’s year of death of the author plus 70 years, EXCEPT if the author died at the field of honour, then it’s year of death plus 100 years.

1 Like

So what does that mean if the “author” is a corporation? Infinite copyright?

1 Like

Funny thing. Two days ago, her books were on gutenberg.ca Now they are gone.

Yes, it is an ugly site. I am more concerned about the disappearing of books that are now even PD in the author’s homeland, not just Canada.

1 Like

Despite its name, Project Gutenberg is not German. That may be the problem.

May Sonny Bono burn in a hell of flaming books an other works he prevented from entering the Public Domain!

At least for 70 years after the death of the Sonny Bono Copyright Act.

For french reading folks (bisou la francophonie) Gallica made a list of new public domain works :

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.