Hate speech on 4chan is up by 40% since 2015, analysis of one million comments finds

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/10/hate-speech-on-4chan-is-up-by.html

Analysis of more than 1 million comments from the site finds dramatic shift toward racist hate content

5 Likes

“One sure wonders, don’t one.”

I’m sure one factor is that past outlets (youtube, facebook, reddit) have ramped up their anti-hate policies, driving commenters to the last refuge available to spew; 4chan.

10 Likes

To bad like an actual well one can’t poison it.

5 Likes

Too bad that it’s so hard to check for the churn rate of old posters leaving / new posters arriving.

Is it that long-time posters are more hateful, or is it that it’s the cool place for hateful posters to come to?

6 Likes

4chan is truly a hive of scum and villiany. I used to poke in from time to time just to see what the cool kids were up to, but ugh… yeah, no. It was just awful.

8 Likes

There used to be parts that were less toxic and more useful, but AFAICT it’s been going downhill a lot. Even if they exiled some of the worst lot to 8chan. (The ones who were mad that 4chan wasn’t allowing CP, for example, as well as some of the open nazis.)

6 Likes

Maybe it’s wishful thinking, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a substantial population of bots set up by disgruntled former posters seeking to salt the proverbial earth after leaving for one reason or another.

5 Likes

Hate speech on 4chan is up by 40% since 2015, analysis of one million comments finds

That’s there business model working as planned.

8 Likes

giphy

10 Likes

ds9-quark-shocked

7 Likes

com-gif-to-mp4

6 Likes

This does not surprise me.

/pol/ and allies have been running the asylum for quite a while, and even I, a long-time veteran of /b/ and then /mlp/, couldn’t take it anymore. It got to a point where the nameless, faceless crowd stopped being largely crude, chaotic, and merely possessing bad taste and bad opinions, and started being populated by overtly evil, low-quality grotesque caricatures of the normies I (and probably others) originally used the site all those years ago to avoid. (Even on the small technicolor horse fun-posting board.)

Yes, 4chan has always been a wretched hive of scum and villainy, but it at least used to be possible to largely steer clear of the villains while perusing the variably-creative scum anonymously from the privacy and safety of one’s own computer.

5 Likes

If it was an actual well the poison was there long ago and has since mutated the microbes into giant mutant scfi creatures.

5 Likes

4chan was never good. Never.

2 Likes

Yeah 4chan hobby boards used to be some of the best sources of information on the hobby and the spillover from /pol/ and such got pushed back, but last I went back that was long gone and there’s not even the hobbyist posting.

5 Likes

You have to be extra, extra edgy in a community full of edge lords.

6 Likes

So it went from 100% hate speech to 140%?

4 Likes

The phrase from my long-ago experience on 4chan is: Like pissing into an ocean of piss.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.