Haunting sounds of the beautiful new Moog Etherwave Theremin

Originally published at: Haunting sounds of the beautiful new Moog Etherwave Theremin | Boing Boing

3 Likes

$900 on Amazon. I think the $200 Arturia MIDI keyboard is a better deal.

2 Likes

You don’t really get to move around with the beat when your playing the theramin. Or is it just this particular artist?

[sigh]

OK, I’m going to be ‘that guy’ and just say flat out that the Theremin is a terrible interface.

It may be cool to look at, but to actually make music on it requires a TON of practice, and there is nothing it can do that can’t be done (better) on different interfaces. Case in point - the “theremin” heard on Good Vibrations is actually a ribbon controller connected to monophonic synth. Why didn’t they use a Theremin? Surely there were some available then. My guess is that they didn’t want to spend weeks practicing to get just the right technique to play that simple line.

So if you are interested in getting into electronic music, don’t wast your $$ on a theremin, get a decent synth, you’ll be glad you did.

[rant over]

3 Likes

Bought one of these a few years ago. Put it to good use…

I give you Shih Tzu from the Storm.

1 Like

@babVU98i @Horselover_Fat

Shih Tzu from the storm
Shih Tzu from the storm
Into a box we’re born
Many toys will be thrown
That poor dog without a bone
He can have mine as a loan
Shih Tzu from the storm…

1 Like

Exactly. The theremin is not really a musical instrument, it’s a controller. The one thing it does have that other controllers don’t have is continuous pitch control. But for goodness’ sake, you could use it to control any sound a synth could make - why does it always have to be the same one?

Yep. That’s about what is good for. It’s a neat-o noisemaker

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.