HDR Projects 2018 enhances any image into professional grade

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/15/hdr-projects-2018-enhances-any.html

“a range of luminosity to your pics that is higher than what the brain can perceive…”

Uh, what? What would be the point then? That’s not how HDR works.

8 Likes

HDR Projects 2018 enhances any image into professional grade

No it doesn’t.

8 Likes

4K resolution is pretty low for photography.

Also, your eyes have hundreds of times the dynamic range of a camera sensor, and this can’t restore information that the camera didn’t capture in the first place.

3 Likes

Uhm, no. This reads like it was written by Fiverr.

There are a number of programs that do HDR, to combine multiple photos with different exposures into a single image with a wider dynamic range, but I’ve never heard of “HDR Projects 2018 Pro” before, and a quick Google shows this post as the number 3 listing. :-/ But the maker’s site seems plausible and their examples look good to my eye.

The quality of results in HDR varies with the specific implementation of each HDR program. Blending exposures without creating ugly artifacts can be tricky, so it’s not something I’d trust to generic software - I’d want to demo the software first. I couldn’t find a demo at the maker’s site:

https://www.projects-software.com/hdr/hdr-projects-2018

I’d say one of the best and most popular HDR programs these days is Aurora HDR by Skylum. It’s gotten reasonably fast and you can get pretty natural looking results from it if that is your goal - they’ve tweaked the algorithm so it doesn’t give glowy, bright edges where blue sky meets objects (the kind you frequently get from Google photo’s auto HDR). And you can demo it to see if you like the way it works.

5 Likes

“As working photographers can tell you, this imaging software can help you re-imagine even the most mundane snaps.”

“re-imagine”? yes.
“improve”? not particularly.
“turn into psychedelic acid trips” ? definitely.

1 Like
1 Like

Ouch! :rofl:

or just use Snapseed :smiley: it’s free

Well, no. I bought this software maybe a year or 2 ago, and gave it a fairly good spin. After a few attempts, I went back to my standard, Aurora Pro (2018,2019). This software was too complicated to get good results with, and the detail level of the finished images was abysmally bad - really badly pixelated. Only good enough for instagram maybe - wouldn’t stand up to even relatively small prints.

1 Like

Snapseed does not do HDR. It cannot combine multiple exposures to create a single image with extended dynamic range.

Snapseed has a function called “HDR scape” that applies tone mapping to a single image to give it an “HDR look” (a rough simulation of the look associated with real, over processed HDR images). But it does not do actual HDR.

Let me pile on now that I’ve stopped laughing.

This is true for composite images, where you’re using your (or someone else’s) photography as source material for something that does’t exist in the real world. HDR isn’t terribly important for that, except as a way to treat some of your source images.

For photography where you’re interested in the image you’ve captured, post-production can save a technically bad image. It can help your composition by cropping or by adding minor elements (like Ansel Adams adding the moon in the dark room).

But it can’t save a bad composition.

I’m not a big fan of HDR, but it can be useful if done subtly.

Shoot in raw, use Lightroom: https://davidblairportfolio.com/landscape-other-photography/

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.