Hear Betty Crocker's "Cooking for the Blind" series from the 1950's, and prepare a Thanksgiving Dinner with canned food.

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/24/hear-betty-crockers-cooking-for-the-blind-series-from-the-1950s-and-prepare-a-thanksgiving-dinner-with-canned-food.html

4 Likes

Reading the title made me feel like crying out loud. People doing their best in dire circumstances chokes me up, and that is multiplied by the divergence between Maddison Avenue expectations, and real world results.

4 Likes

Right? As a normally sighted person, I cannot begin to imagine the process. Even moreso the farther back you go as accommodations (such as they are) were progressively more sparse. Really humbling.

2 Likes

I saw a video of how a blind man uses the screen reader functions of his iPhone. The speed at which the voice plays back is insane, and I couldn’t understand it. But for him it was a great efficiency to be able to navigate quickly through apps and their functions.

That is all precursor to wonder now: did the users of those records play them back at higher-than-normal speed?

2 Likes

Older record players used to have a 16rpm setting, used for things like audiobooks, so I guess one could crank them up to 33 and 45rpm.

Exactly what I was referring to. I’m wondering if doing that was a common practice for a well-trained ear.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.