Help kids see A Wrinkle In Time for free

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/02/28/help-kids-see-a-wrinkle-in-tim.html

2 Likes

The kiddo is stoked to see this movie. She really liked the book.

6 Likes

Wrinkle In Time was a formative book for me, and I sincerely hope the movie’s good and that Ava DuVernay is as “visionary” as the cast keeps insisting she is.

7 Likes

I’m a fan of the original book, and I have to say that what I’ve seen so far has not been terribly encouraging. So, yeah, here’s hoping.

3 Likes

So… let me make sure I understand this.

AMC is selling tickets to the charity for $10 each.

As in, you give $10 to the charity, they give AMC $10, and AMC distributes a free ticket to a deserving kid.

Why, gee, AMC, what a great humanitarian move. Barely, bravely charging more than full price.

(At my local AMC theatre, a child’s seat for Black Panther at 8:00 is $7.49. That is a 2-d showing.)

Obviously, if they are donating a ticket to the charity for every $10 they raise (for the charity to keep) during this promotion, I’ll gladly change my mind.

4 Likes

The book was a big influence on me growing up. (And the sequel introduced me to the endosymbiotic theory of origin of eukaryotic cells.)

That being said, I’ll wait until I see the movie before I fund tickets for anyone else.

I remember loving the book when I was a kid, then being excited to read it with my older kid. I got the book, read it with him and was astonished at how bad it was as a science fiction novel. Just bollocks.

That said, the movie might be fun. Chances are I’ll spend $10 per kid to take my 2 deserving kids to it, if I remember while it is in town.

I honestly never even considered what a powerful feminist message that book had until long after I’d grown up. Which is really a sign of great storytelling—women and girls doing a bunch of heroic stuff without making a big deal of the fact that they’re all women and girls. Just the kind of storytelling we should be exposing our kids to.

6 Likes

Congratulations, you win the Unpopular Take of the Day Award

6 Likes

Screw all those undeserving kids out there!

7 Likes

Is there a way you can pay $10 to revoke a ticket from an undeserving kid?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.