Help us identify this awesome butterfly

Originally published at: Help us identify this awesome butterfly | Boing Boing

3 Likes

For sure a swallowtail, some species of Papilio. It looks a lot like a giant swallowtail (P. cresphontes), which are mostly eastern but apparently do extend into California, though I do not know the species well enough to know if others might be similar.

18 Likes

r/whatisthisbug (seriously great subreddit for all your bug identification needs)

8 Likes
5 Likes

Oh, that’s Robert, but he prefers to go by Bob the Awesome Butterfly.

Butterfly is his last name. It makes it really difficult when the restaurant is calling out parties waiting for a table since like 90% of the butterfly population has the same last name. The other common last names are Flutterby and Moth, the latter being a misunderstanding that occurred when they immigrated through Ellis Island.

20 Likes

Certainly looks like a Giant swallowtail. I see black swallowtails here occasionally, but I haven’t seen a giant

7 Likes

Yes it is a giant swallowtail

5 Likes

I know that butterfly! That’s the bastard that flapped its wings, thereby changing the course of a tropical storm that ended up killing hundreds of people due to severe flooding and a generalized misunderstanding of how Chaos Theory works.

11 Likes
2 Likes

At least it’s not the butterfly who got stomped by a time-travelling dinosaur hunter who stepped off the boardwalk, and is responsible for the rather crap time-line we’re in now.

11 Likes

If you’re on FB, the entomology group is well moderated and has some excellent photography from around the world. Entomology

1 Like

Oh, it’s been many years. Thank you for the fond memory!

2 Likes

@jlw I recommend the iNaturalist app for your phone. Take a pic and get an identification almost straight away. Here’s their website:

2 Likes

Papilio rumiko.

3 Likes

We get Tiger and Zebra Swallowtails around here; more of the former than the latter.

5 Herbs for a Butterfly Garden

The aptly nicknamed butterfly bush (Buddleia) attracts lots of butterflies, and milkweed (Asclepias) is Monarchs’ only food plant. Both are beautiful plants. Many butterfly bushes have a luscious scent that humans can also appreciate. Even wild milkweed has wonderful flowers; a friend said they look like they’re made of porcelain.

I am fairly certain this is the King Swallowtail, Papilio Thoas. It’s often confused with the giant swallowtail. But hey, I’m not a lepidopterist.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.