Photo of a freaky human-sized bat

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/03/photo-of-a-freaky-human-sized.html

8 Likes

Poor bat just trying to catch a nap and the puppers keep waking him up.

19 Likes

688dfd5cb07a39b762c1eae21f0ee2f02365b83fr1-600-313_hq

So THATS where they come from! :wink:

7 Likes

With these around who needs flying monkeys?

6 Likes

Many will disagree but it’s quite an extraordinary and beautiful animal.

40 Likes

The Columbus Zoo has a room full of specimens of the species, holyfuckengesis, which will face-fuck you right in the soul until the cruel universe of your mind collapses into a searing, monstrous black hole from which you will never fully emerge.

14 Likes

We stopped checking for monsters under the eaves when we realized they were inside us.

The joker

11 Likes

This is a different species, from Australia, and perhaps not quite a large when full-grown.

27 Likes

32 Likes

Looks like a 2x bit of lumber the toes are curled around… So… either 1 1/2" or 2" (depending how that wood was milled) , and there’s your reference scale.

Odd place for it to take a nap.

8 Likes

I’m not a skittish fellow, but there’s no way I’d ever ride that motorcycle again. I might also walk away from the house.

3 Likes

Man, Gotham is looking more run-down than I remember.

12 Likes

hnn… “human sized” in the sense of fairly small humans, perhaps? (“That’d be 4 for relatively large values of 3” …forced perspective in maths? where’s our scale banana?)

7 Likes

That’s a big bat, but a flying fox with that wingspan would likely be about a foot long and weigh maybe 4 pounds. It ain’t “human-sized”. That photo must have some crazy forced perspective

14 Likes

Aww, that one is more of a flutterkitten than a fluttermouse.

16 Likes

In the Philippines there are not very many trees left for it to roost in.

They are truly amazing and beautiful creatures (the real “flying foxes” with red fur are a touch more attractive). When I lived in Thailand we would occasionally visit monasteries for birdwatching: no harming of wildlife is permitted on holy ground, and so those with ample grounds are often major roosting or nesting sites. One we went to was just giant jungle tree after giant jungle tree completely packed with flying foxes.

19 Likes

It’s amusing how half the comments are “kill it with fire!” and the other half are “fwuffy fwootbap!”

I fall into the “adorable” camp, too.

25 Likes

Definitely forced perspective. Watch the video - the bat is a good 6-8m from the motorbike it’s apparently roosting right next to in the photo. Looks about the size you estimated.

8 Likes

Bats are adorbs, but I do find their extremely fragile-looking wings stressful, in the same way as it stresses me out watching translucent super-elderly people walking tottering around in icy weather etc.

18 Likes

I just want to hug it.

18 Likes