Here are five fascinating places you are not allowed to visit

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/08/here-are-five-fascinating-places-you-are-not-allowed-to-visit.html

4 Likes

Contributed by Allan Rose Hill

7 Likes

“Perhaps better to not ask for permission but rather forgiveness later.”

This might be the same ark that killed a poor schmuck who touched it while it was being transported. No thanks. I’ll pass on the hostile spear-tossing natives and the Snakeapalooza as well.

15 Likes

If you’re ever looking for a story about peak Xtianist idiocy, the North Sentinal Island one is a classic.

13 Likes

I want to believe the Sentinelese are a genetic line of guardians that are protecting all of humanity by guarding a sealed portal to some sort of unspeakable evil with a name like that it’s a bit too on the nose but it’s what I’ve chosen to believe. Well ok I don’t really believe that but I want to.

8 Likes

The Sentinelese have very very good reasons to mistrust outsiders, mostly due to this asshole: Creepy antics of British naval officer over 100 years ago had a profound impact on lost tribe - NZ Herald

6 Likes

What do the Vatican Apostolic Archive, the Svalbard Global Seed Vault, and Ilha da Queimada Grande have in common? They’re both places…

Ummm - there’s three of them. That’s one more than a “both”.

This sentence perplexed me:

“In reality, the revered object found within the Church of Our Lady Mary of Zion is likely to be a replica of the Ark, which may or may not actually exist,”

The Ark may nor may not exist, so how can there be a replica? Or is it that the replica may or may not exist? Probably needs a ‘why not both’ gif.

6 Likes

Or maybe not go in at all. Clearly the church is important to the people who look after it and we should respect their wishes to keep its contents a mystery.

3 Likes

Grammar and syntax, how do it work?

7 Likes

All three of them must agree.

4 Likes

Pouring one out for poor Uzzah the ox-cart driver.

4 Likes

“Why did it have to be snakes?”, as Indian(a) Jones might have said.

3 Likes

…Unfortunately, the pyramid lies within a restricted military area since 1970 and consequently no excavation has been undertaken there since Reisner and Fisher’s superficial work, leaving the structures beneath the pyramid in doubt…

2 Likes

My basement, which has turned into an unpenetrable bargain version of Charles Foster Kane’s warehouse. By now I’m far too embarrassed to let people see it.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.