10 places around the world you're not allowed to visit

Originally published at: 10 places around the world you're not allowed to visit  | Boing Boing

7 Likes

A wild OBJ appears!

36 Likes
  • North Sentinel Island (the people living there shoot arrows at people to try to visit)

On the other hand, if you do go, and you do get killed, you could be celebrated as a martyr.

These are examples as evidence, please don’t give them clicks.

18 Likes

You do have to admire the truth in advertising here.

31 Likes

Or, you know, like 99% of the rest of North Korea.

24 Likes

You used not to be able Gruinard because of the anthrax.
Then it burst into flame this year.

18 Likes

Chapel of the Ark of the Covenant in Ethiopia (purported to contain a “sacred gold-covered chest of the Israelites and it’s rumored to contain the two stone tablets of the ten commandments, Aaron’s Rod, and a pot of mana”)

We know that not to be true…

9 Likes

You can’t go to Mecca unless you are Muslim.

2 Likes

That was the “B” Ark containing the tablets with the lesser-known Commandments such as the one about which way to hang the toilet paper roll and how many spaces to type after a period.

36 Likes

30 Likes

That there is pretty much the difference between an archive and a public library!

11 Likes

That’s really nuts. Everyone else was reacting like, “dude, if you do that, you deserve to get speared.”

Once again, this guy could have served his Christian values by living them fully in his own life, but instead, he has to come up with some crazy, dangerous, and illegal scheme like this.

9 Likes
  • Chapel of the Ark of the Covenant in Ethiopia (purported to contain a “sacred gold-covered chest of the Israelites and it’s rumored to contain the two stone tablets of the ten commandments, Aaron’s Rod, and a pot of mana”)

Spoiler: It doesn’t.

Just for a moment consider that it contains even one of these things. Just one. That would fundamentally change the entire world. Agnostic and atheists would have to completely change their world views. All religions would have to restructure. Basically, the world as we know it would change - you have concrete, absolute, tangible proof of a creator and their actions that render portions of various books of mythology true.

My sister believed the rumors that my grandmother left her millions in her will. Amazingly, it wasn’t true. The fact that she worked her whole life as a teacher instead of an investment banker may have had something to do with that.

The only rumors you should listen to are from Timex Social Club.

10 Likes
4 Likes

I beg to differ:

25 Likes

Is YouTuber Joe Scott trying to get more people to try visiting these places? Because that’s how you get more people to try visiting these places.

7 Likes

“and a pot of mana“

Mmmmm….mana.

16 Likes

muppets GIF

31 Likes

I don’t see why. Lots of stuff that happened in the Bible lines up perfectly well with known historical people, places, and events. Many non-believers accept that some Biblical accounts have a basis in fact while rejecting the divine nature of said accounts.

So if an actual, historical Ark of the Covenant was proven to exist then the faithful would rejoice and the non-believers might say “Neat! What an interesting archeological find!” while still rejecting the premise that the stone tablets had been inscribed by the hand of God Himself.

21 Likes

Reminds me of Deep Space 9, the season 1 ender, where Keiko O’Brien is teaching the kids in her class about the wormhole and the aliens that keep it stable, which some Bajoran religious leaders (notably, Vedek Winn, later Kai Winn) object to, as they see it as the “Celestial Temple” and the aliens as The Prophets. The fact that the Bajorans saw it as a religious thing did not mean that the wormhole did not exist.

MAN, she sucked…

20 Likes