Here are some words that don't exist in English but should

Originally published at: Here are some words that don't exist in English but should | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Gigi is Tagolog for the feeling you get when something is so cute you want to squeeze it.

Years ago after learning it, I started using the Spanish term “nervio”, which conveys the same concept.

4 Likes

My favorite of these is Schnapsidee. " A Schnapsidee literally means a “booze idea” and is a term commonly used to indicate that an idea sounds crazy, useless, or completely foolish."
Word of the Week: Schnapsidee | Culture | Arts, music and lifestyle reporting from Germany | DW | 26.09.2016.

7 Likes

I’m probably pronouncing it wrong, but just saying that word makes my mouth less bored. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

ETA: Nope, just watched that part of the video. I was pronouncing it right!

2 Likes

I believe “pelenti” can be translated as “hashafasha”

I stumbled across a Japanese word, yoisho - よいしょ- which, as I understand it, translates as “slumping in a chair after a big exertion.”

2 Likes
4 Likes

That’s so adorable I just want to eat it up! :wink:

2 Likes

Tell me about the rabbits, Dyer, Aragón, et al.

2 Likes

There’s always this “dictionary of things that there aren’t any words for” courtesy of Douglas Adams and John Lloyd

4 Likes

I have thought it unfortunate that English uses the word “spicy” or worse “hot” to refer to both “pepper-y” and “horse radish-y” which are quite distinct sensations.

Many of these words are perfectly cromulent.

2 Likes

Consider your vocabulary embiggened!

We have a very similar word in Japanese: 口寂しい (kuchi sabishii), which literally means “mouth lonely.” It’s also used for like when someone smokes a cigarette or chews on a pencil just to have something in their mouth.

Unlike the Korean word (which is a verb), the Japanese is an adjective describing the state of just wanting to have something in one’s mouth, whether it be food or something else.

1 Like

Alongside that there’s now the Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows (book and site) which is beautiful, poetic and erudite and … like the title says.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.