Here is a photo of one million mosquitoes

#NotAllSnakes

2 Likes

In many ecosystems, humans are invasive pests. That does, logically, make a beneficial creature of our archnemesis.

And that’s what the mosquito is. It has been estimated that mosquitos have killed fifty-two billion people, more than six times the Earth’s current population and nearly half the people who have ever lived. And more than fifty thousand times the puny casualty count those Floridians are boasting about.

5 Likes

But then again, we wouldn’t have gin and tonics without mosquitoes.

5 Likes

I take it you’ve never been bitten by a centipede. Centipedes have a mean streak a mile wide and for insects are aggressive; I’d rather deal with a hornet nest.

3 Likes

I am somewhat sceptical and demand a recount.

5 Likes

Centipedes vary in their aggro, some are quite skittish, some are the apex predator of their domain and won’t let you forget it. I have never been bit by them except for when I tried to pick them up, which is a human error, not a centipede error. House centipedes will eat roaches, ants and bedbugs, so they’re not bad roommates.

3 Likes

I had a Mosquito Magnet. It caught thousands of mosquitos. The problem was we had 100s of thousands of mosquitos. So sure, we bagged an amazing amount of mosquitos and it made no difference in ones ability to be outside without being inundated with mosquitos.

The In2Care trap is the only thing that ever worked for us. Rather than just kill the few thousand that visit the trap, it poisons them, and their offspring leading to a population collapse in your yard.

Its very targeted - it will not poison other insects, or birds, pets, or you and your children.

2 Likes

[quote=“JohnEightThirty, post:21, topic:215482, full:true”]

I totally agree. Most snakes don’t bother me at all, but if I was to run into a rattlesnake face to face I’d probably freak. I was just trying to rank what creeps me out most if I were to find it on me. I’m not about randomly killing everything because it doesn’t fit my ideal for outdoor living.

1 Like

No, and I used to play with them daily as a child.

TIL!

2 Likes

Wait, are you talking about the video game? Because that may not be an accurate representation of centipede behavior.

3 Likes

No, I’m talking about actual centipedes in nature. I was that kind of kid.

5 Likes

In Florida I remember being cautious of alligators, water moccasins, coral snakes, barracuda, sting rays, sharks, jellyfish. I’ve seen most of those in the wild, but thankfully never had a bad interaction. I remember moving west and realizing most of those aren’t as big of a concern elsewhere. Most of the bad snakes make noise.

3 Likes

You can make a Kunga cake and eat them yourself.

Or chocolate.

2 Likes

Pleakley would be devastated.

2 Likes

How do you get them, in the U.S.?

https://www.in2care.org

there is a page about sellers

I found a professional who was happy to just sell me the supplies and I set them up myself - not complicated.

Its a good cause too - made by a non-profit that uses these too fund mosquito control supplies in 3rd world locations with malaria and other mosquito borne disease.

1 Like

I was looking, last year I think, and not finding a professional in my area who carried those specific traps. The mosquitos have become quite aggressive in our area as of the last couple years.

the list has expanded a lot since I got mine.

Once you get the vessels, then each year you just need the supplies. I set up 3 traps in our back yard and that covers the whole area. I also put them in a small dog kennel, otherwise raccoons like to knock them over.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.