Here’s why pop culture features so little public transportation

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/02/20/heres-why-pop-culture-featu.html

3 Likes
20 Likes

A guy steals a tram.

3 Likes

12 Likes
9 Likes
5 Likes

Well here’s another angle - according to Pew Research only about 11% of Americans use public transit on a daily basis.

7 Likes

How about Nighthawks (1981)? A film heavily featuring two forms of NYC public transportation:

The Subway

and the Roosevelt Island Tram

index

And features Rocky, Lando, Roy Batty, and the Bionic Woman. Truly a classic!

14 Likes

I suspect that if we counted up the minutes on film and video of people using public transport and private if we would see a similar breakdown or percentage spread as we do on our actual roads. Right now about 5% of us use public transport on the reg.

There’s always the movie ‘Speed’. But I always wondered if the buses in L.A. could possibly have actually been that crappy. Barely a step up from school buses…

4 Likes

How about “Mimic”? A surprisingly good Alien-clone set in the NY Subway.

3 Likes

Ahem…

15 Likes

I can see why filming on trains could be a hassle (or, in some ways, easier, if the operator has arrangements for filming). But it can’t be that hard to get hold of a bus for filming, and it’s surely easier to film people in a bus. I’m inclined to think it’s more about public transport stigma.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Albert Gunter.

5 Likes

I think this film said all that could possibly be said about train travel:

1 Like

But not in a good light:

14 Likes

I was going to suggest the monorail episode of the Simpsons as another example of public transit in popular culture but then remembered that it was actually a scathing critique of mass transit; a dire warning of what could befall a community that is ensnared by its false promises. RIP North Haverbrook.

5 Likes

What’s that movie where Steve Carrell (I think) is on a bendy bus having a conversation with someone (love interest IIRC) in the other section who keeps moving relatively during the conversation as the bus goes around corners? It is a great scene.

1 Like

Only one day off work and 10£ for a broken leg, sheesh!