Here's how to break all high fantasy stories into two distinct subgenres

Originally published at: Here's how to break all high fantasy stories into two distinct subgenres | Boing Boing

7 Likes

You Have A Point Reaction GIF by CBS

11 Likes

@dnealy I really wish, in posts like this, that you’d include a half-sentence saying what the two subgenres are.

15 Likes

No. It’s c.ten seconds. It’s worth it. And saying it would ruin it.

13 Likes

Okay both of you were absolutely right in this case. I was too ready to assume this to be one of these 13min videos that deserve summary.

9 Likes

It made me laugh, but it could have been a gif…

6 Likes

He’s not wrong, but I’d immediately thought of sexist AF vs not sexist AF, the latter gen’lly penned by women. :woman_shrugging:

10 Likes

In my misspent youth (mid-thirties, maybe?), I ran a D&D campaign that combined the two genres. The dragons had all been long gone, and the whole campaign arc led up to a finale where the party found an endless hollow cavern with dragon eggs as far as they eye could see, about to hatch and f*ck up the entire world unless they did the thing to stop it.

And they did, with literally seconds to go. Sometimes, the dice comply with the needs of the narrative throughline, lol. We laughed, we cried, etc. etc. Best campaign finale I’ve ever managed.

If only we had youtube back then, it would have been a streaming sensation I tell ya.

14 Likes

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

6 Likes

My initial thought was, “There’s no way there’s even two subgenres of high fantasy movies, as they’re so rare,” but even though it wasn’t specifically about cinematic high fantasy, damn, it’s true. (Especially if we include high fantasy tv shows.)

5 Likes

Dragonlance spans both of these subgenres. Pre-fifth age there are tons of dragons and the good dragons are helping the various races fight against the evil dragons and Chaos. By the fifth age however dragons are much less plentiful.

4 Likes

Spot on and hilarious!

1 Like

Or a tweet. Which it was.

1 Like

That … did not need to be a video :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

It seems to be a recent trend in video content. I’d never seen this kind of thing before, someone just reading a popular tweet or Reddit post while showing it on screen, but this is the third one in as many days.

I wonder if it is true that Gen Z prefers video over text and this is a winning strategy for content creators, or whether that is actually just a “kids these days” myth.

Personally I don’t understand the proliferation of things like video tutorials. I can skip through a text much faster to find a particular piece of information than I can scrub through a video. And with recipes it is even stranger: I need to go back and forth in it while I’m cooking, possibly with soiled hands that mean I can’t use the video controls.

4 Likes

Being able to see a procedure is great. I might find a text version of a recipe, but watching how it’s made means I’m less likely to misinterpret the directions. And for doing something new, where I wouldn’t know what info I need to skim for? Very useful.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.