Here's how to spot a pyramid scheme

How about this simple test: if you’re selling health or beauty products directly to other people, it’s not a real job and you should run the other way.

1 Like

That wasn’t intended as a direct reply. I meant to other reply button and didn’t notice. Sorry for the confusion.

2 Likes

Eww, no, definitely not hot (to me), but her channel is entertaining. :sunglasses:

That sounds amazing? did you watch her video about it… very informative.

Ah! Thanks… also sorry for the confusion!

I do have to point out that Vemma was NOT the first attempt by its founder. Before Vemma, Benson “BK” Boreyko ran New Vision International, which is also a MLM company selling essentially the same things. In 1999 NVI was ordered by FTC to stop lying about their product “God’s Recipe” as a treatment for ADHD/ADD. Eventually NVI was folded into Vemma.

Vemma was never really shut down. It now operates as Bode (which is obviously, still MLM)

1 Like

That brings up another important point: the people who start pyramid schemes are not only grifters but serial grifters. It’s like an addiction for them.

5 Likes

Primerica is borderline illegal and definitely shady (IMHO). Insurance and financial products do not require an MLM structure to sell… People need them whether it’s MLM or not. Making it MLM basically shifts responsibility to the reps rather than corporate, while keeping the profit margin. What should have been corporate responsibility such as training and certification were all shifted to the reps. “Training” becomes paying monthly $$$ to access a company wiki termed “resources”.

3 Likes

I did not watch the video, but I will.

If you can snag a copy of Ric Burns’ documentary about the Donner Party, done ~25 years ago, do so. It remains IMO the best documentary ever made.

I don’t think it’s ever been made available for streaming, but a copy of the DVD can be gotten from Amazon for under ten bucks.

5 Likes

Cool! Thanks, I’ll try and check it out…

Eh, I prefer the America’s Test Kitchen special.

2 Likes

9f0b1c67722640991ea2475910a667d5--black-books-fran

Then there’s the Dragnet episode:

4 Likes

6 Likes

No, Primerica sells no products of its own. It resells other companies insurance products, which are fine. The customer doesn’t get screwed, only the sales force. And we were specifically warned right away that we could not make a living without recruiting people under us.

4 Likes

Spot pyramid schemes with this one weird trick!

7 Likes

Thanks for that. Neither hotness nor being a mortician are factors - but anyone who’s against MLM scams is ok by me.

Not really her deal, actually.

Came for this. Leaving satisfied. (and smiling)

Where do I click? Where do I click!

2 Likes