Here's what a clown learned about male violence by face-painting kids at a picnic

I’m pretty sure my kid would love that. Or just a regular butterfly. To go with their Karate trophies.

Yes, that was intentionally gender-vague.

It even causes hurricanes!

4 Likes

Big business prefers to really push girl girl girl girl because they can sell two different product lines. Now you’d think they would make more profits by selling the same amount of toys overall to the same group of kids with fewer SKUs, but then you lose all the product design jobs for designing gender specific toys. Like if you just made non-gendered toys and marketed them to all kids probably kids would have the same number of toys. So I kind of see it as the designers trying to keep their jobs?

Oh, but yeah if a girl decides she’s not into “girl girl girl”, society doesn’t give a shit. I think though that there really isn’t any tolerance for boys to do frilly pink girly stuff without acquiring a presumption of homosexuality either from social conservatives or social liberals. Girls are allowed to play with boy stuff and have a presumption of heterosexuality.

Maybe as homosexuality becomes less stigmatized people will be more supporting of boys who choose to play with girl’s toys. If you had a son who wanted to wear frilly girly clothes and paint his nails, but who said he was heterosexual, would you believe him? It will be a good day when you can say yes and have the confidence that if he was homosexual it would be such a no big deal that why would he lie about it, and if he changes his mind later who cares.

No?

Also no?

Discouraging your daughter or your son from enjoying the things that bring them joy just because they’re not “for them” is entirely the problem. Skulls aren’t toxic, but forcing boys to get them painted on their faces instead of a butterfly is. Pink LEGO aren’t a symbol of the patriarchy, but preventing your son from playing with them because they’re pink is. Let your daughter get a skull-and-crossbones face painting. Let your son play with My Little Ponies and wear a skirt.

5 Likes

braunschweiger

Ain’t nothing wrong with that. Those kids are trippin’

I just did a Google Images search for “golf clothing” so I think that this is legit, and fairly reserved given some of the ensembles on display.

Caddyshack never falls flat.

1 Like

When I was a kid I was bullied as well, but I was told and believed pretty early on that it wasn’t the little idiosyncrasies that were the cause, but the fact that I was reacting to it. Bullies are looking to get a rise out of their victims, I was taught. I was taught not to be short tempered, and had the blessing of loving parents and good school counselors. It made me the emotional Vulcan I am now in some ways.

I still think it holds true, that it’s not the divergent stuff that gets us bullied, but the false hope of the bully for easy dominance. Not playing their game, not getting upset is hard, but oh so worthwhile in the end.

2 Likes

It made me the emotional Vulcan I am now in some ways.

1 Like

You beat me to it - this nugget fascinates me and I love sharing it.
Here’s another link.
http://mentalfloss.com/article/65058/when-did-pink-become-girl-color

Just for some reductio ad absurdum, here’s a personal anecdote: when I was a child, I swear I read somewhere - wish I could remember where - that newborns’ eyes were coloured pink (if a girl) and blue (if a boy), before “correcting” to their permanent shades after a few days.

Like an idiot, I even believed it for a while too! (I guess it was my personal “duck’s quacks don’t echo” :wink: )

2 Likes

But it is true that the final image a person sees is recorded in their eyes, right? :wink:

2 Likes

There are four openly gay men among my circle of close acquaintances. Not a single one of them has painted nails or frilly, spangly clothes.

2 Likes

A couple of years ago, my daughter was volunteered to paint faces at some school fair. It was during school, no parents around. She told me there were several little boys who wanted guns painted on their faces. She gave them each a teddy bear instead. They were very young, so most of them were happy with the result.

4 Likes

I really don’t follow your strange leap in logic. What do skulls have anything to do with toxic masculinity? Likewise trucks, superheroes, or whatever.

1 Like

I think you misspelled “clergy”.

3 Likes

Same exact thing happened to me with a hand me down jeans jacket! I also noticed afterward that a girl’s style jacket had the lapels button up right-over-left rather than left-over-right.

2 Likes

Let’s not forget the stylish Norwegian Olympic Curling Team. I dig the Mondrian/Patridge Family bus look they have going.

4 Likes

I’ve seen quite a number of girls jackets that i liked, but didn’t buy. More out of self consciousness than anything else. I’m also notoriously picky about sneakers and athletic shoes and fairly often when i find a pair i really like they’re always women’s sneakers. Which other than sizing i presume function exactly like any other shoe, but also i never bought them for the same reasons as the jackets.

1 Like

I wonder with the golf clothing whether it is an attempt to put their opponents off their game.

I totally misread that as, “Same exact thing happened to me when I had my hand down my jeans…” That probably says more about me.

Little boys clothes are soooo boring. When they are babies, there is some really cute stuff. I bought my daughter some boy’s baby clothes. But once past 8 months it’s all dark blues and reds and “handsome!” or “Stud!” crap.

Even baby clothes. My husband was confused why one shirt we bought was so much looser than another from the same brand in the same size… it was because one shirt was a “girl’s” shirt and one was a “boy’s” shirt. Even at tiny sizes, girl’s clothes are cut slimmer.

Also, way too many people assume she is a boy unless she is wearing pink. Like the default is all babies are boys unless wearing pink.

5 Likes