Hey guys! Here's a look at "YouTube Voice"

Originally published at: Hey guys! Here's a look at "YouTube Voice" | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Haig Eyes!

25 Likes

First, I just want to say: Hey guys!

YouTubers tended to overstress both vowels and consonants, such as someone saying “exactly” like “eh-ckzACKTly.” She guesses that the style stems in part from informal news broadcast programs or “infotainment” like The Daily Show.

It’s the untalented person’s version of how the professional on-air talent enunciates.

10 Likes

7 Likes

There are a few youtubers whose excessive hand movements make me wonder if there’s something actually wrong with them. Not in a derogatory way, like I’m genuinely worried if they’re okay.

3 Likes

Now “hay guise” has lost all meaning to me.

4 Likes

This strikes me as a vast overstatement because it’s not made from a scientific sampling, just a few random YouTubers. From the linked article:

" She watched some videos that I sent her, and was very patient with my continued pleas of, “No, but I feel like something is going on here.” And so here, thanks to Baron, are the linguistic components of YouTube voice:"

“Some videos” is not a sufficient sample size to attribute characteristics to “YouTubers” as a group, especially since the author may have selected them with a bias for videos that fit their pre-conception.

Also, I wouldn’t call the analysis “meta” - it’s just quick observations and suppositions, not a statistical analysis of multiple scientific studies.

5 Likes

Hay guys:
Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 18.15.49

(Click picture for source.)

12 Likes

Tartlets

In 20-30 years it will become the dominant single word greeting, “hayguyz”, replacing “hi” or “hello”.

3 Likes
7 Likes

Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation Semantic satiation

5 Likes

" She guesses that the style stems in part from informal news broadcast programs or “infotainment” like *The Daily Show."

But which came first? Are the people on the daily show emulating what is/has become common to “connect” with their audience?

Is this an instance of what was known once as the “mid-Atlantic” accent that was seen/heard in movies and from radio announcers… An affectation? There seem to be a LOT of affectations around these days.

And of course just to toss in some of my peeves:

student, pronounced stu-DENT.
didn’t, pronounced did-DENT; usually in the phrase Oh no! you did-DENT!

1 Like

Along with the response to “thank you” being universally replaced with “no problem” instead of “you’re welcome.”

Not one of the channels I follow, but I’ve seen the occasional video of his.

1 Like

YouTuber Tom Scott explains Phatic Expressions and why No Problem can be a problem, for old people.

1 Like

Youtubers’

Hay guise?

10 Likes

3 Likes