Hey, Y'all!

Can’t get on board with this.

“Y’all” is a perfectly acceptable linguistic variant that says a lot more about one’s geographic origin than political leanings.

We should keep fighting the fascists, but not by discriminating against people based on where they grew up.

51 Likes

Absolutely. And also for youse and yinz. That’s my chant: 2nd Person Plural! 2nd Person Plural!

11 Likes

Not only that, but it’s in my experience quickly becoming the de facto default for English, not least because almost all of the alternatives are gendered.

ETA: Thanks @Otherbrother

20 Likes

I think you forgot about at least one regionally popular alternative, yo.

15 Likes

I’d genuinely never heard of this before. Interesting.

2 Likes

I’m confused by this (and the NPR story) – isn’t “Y’all” a second person pronoun? Which are never gendered in English?

(On a tangent: I am always surprised that there’s no movement to abolish the first person plural. If you think about it, there is no context where its use isn’t problematic, and it’s trivially easy to avoid)

3 Likes

24 Likes

I think the gendered alternative that was implied is “you guys”

9 Likes

They’re referring to stuff like “you guys” (definitely gendered). “You people” and “you folks” are problematic as well.

8 Likes

You bet!

8 Likes

As a Canadian in Austin, I have come around to the usefulness of Y’all. Further, I also find myself using sentences like “Y’all need to deal with this, eh?” Which I’m sure is breaking many a brain.

35 Likes

Shit, I’m from Maine originally and I use y’all all the time, ever since I moved to Maryland. Just smoother off the tongue than the alternatives. You all. Everyone. Hey every body. Give me a y’all every day.

12 Likes

But I frequently refer to my friends as “you people”! I mean, I really, honestly do

4 Likes

What about all y’all? All y’all is fine right?

7 Likes

As long as you’re grammatically correct.

Y’all is singular.
All y’all is the plural.

8 Likes

Why?

2 Likes
15 Likes

Now that’s just silly. “Y’all” is an abbreviation of “you all,” and “all you all” is unnecessarily redundant, defying the whole point of using a contraction in the first place.

I much prefer the convention “you” = singular, “y’all” = plural.

3 Likes

Having grown up in the the south, I think y’all is capped at like 5 or 6 people, all y’all is damn near infinite, only limited by human hearing :smiley:

15 Likes

In southern there are some grammatical structures that do not exist in regular English.

Y’all is the inclusive, while all y’all is the super-inclusive.

I might use y’all to address some specific grouping of people, while all y’all includes people that I’m not even specifically thinking about right now.

10 Likes