High school apologizes for math problem about sexual assault

WTF. This is like a very bad joke.

1 Like

Agreed. But I did qualify my statement with this open ended dodge: “Granted, could use some polish…”

I’ve only dabbled in cognitive psychology and have no understanding of education theory or whatever they call it. But I personally have always learned subjects I am not particularly interested in via three means: rote learning which is just reading facts from a book, learning by doing, and as I mentioned, learning something from many different angles at once.

Good, something to take everybody’s minds off the suicide problems that school district has has over the years. My workshop is just down the road from this school, it’s about 10 miles from the Delaware River but deep in the heart of Pennsyltucky. I mean seriously, making high school kids think? Especially white high school kids thinking about black people? The nerve of that teacher.

Exactly… I swear I’ve seen a similar story every few years for decades. They just have a more common ‘politically incorrect’ spin on them.

In a few years, another one will be posted asking: “When trump tried deporting 16.2 % of the 579,873,947 Mexicans, how many cubic feet of hot air did he use?”

2 Likes

Yes?  

1 Like

It’s a good thing you can still major in hats at a few liberal arts schools.

Some facts that may be relevent:

“I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings,” published in 1969, is assigned reading in many high schools.

It is also occasionally attacked for its content. Angelou’s passages about her rape and teen pregnancy have made it a perennial on the American Library Association’s list of works that draw complaints from parents and educators.

“’I thought that it was a mild book. There’s no profanity,” Angelou, who died in 2014, told The Associated Press. “It speaks about surviving, and it really doesn’t make ogres of many people. I was shocked to find there were people who really wanted it banned, and I still believe people who are against the book have never read the book.”

8 Likes

Nearly five times as many Mexicans as actually exist. Not that it matters to Trump.

3 Likes

It’s worth noting that in the right hands, Algebra/Math can be used successfully as a literary device. John Updike’s 1975 short story “Problems” (in the book of the same name) is fantastic in this regard.

3 Likes

From the linked article:

“A similar homework assignment caused controversy in Fort Myers, Florida, in 2015. In that case, a middle school teacher also downloaded the algebra homework from an external website. The district said the veteran teacher didn’t carefully examine the homework and called it an oversight that wouldn’t be repeated.”

That the question was downloaded from the Internet probably explains the repeat.

1 Like

[Checks the wikipedia page for “math homework”]

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.