I would love to see examples of what Florida found unacceptable in those Math textbooks

Originally published at: I would love to see examples of what Florida found unacceptable in those Math textbooks | Boing Boing

14 Likes

Billie Eilish Wtf GIF by Global Citizen

30 Likes

Because if you take all the nonsense (mo)Ron says if doesn’t add up. Also, 1 + 1 = 3 for ever increasing values of 1.

21 Likes

me too! i’ve read more news articles about this particular (bizarre) case of censorship just to figure that one out; and no luck. They (usual suspect state leaders) are so far out of control now they are just using it as a dead cat cover for their usual nasty anti-Democratic behaviors. The voters of these states need to be asked often (via adverts) why they think this [suitable photo of misbehavior] is what they think is vital for a healthy society @#$!

25 Likes

I’d be willing to bet the “Critical Race Theory” was photos or illustrations of Black people.

48 Likes

"Y’all can’t be teaching our kids about gravity and shit! "

32 Likes

I’m going to repeat what I said on the subject elsewhere:

I’ve actually seen where math textbooks make some basic effort to present an inclusive world like that, and I imagine these fascists would take it as an attack on their precious need to forget not everyone is just like them.

67 Likes

Lets Go Reaction GIF

40 Likes

I just heard from an old friends kid that is now having kids, they moved to Florida from California because the schools are better. Yep, you read that correctly… Good luck with that.

37 Likes

You’re reminding me of the time I was in a bus shuttle during a work trip in Nowheresville, Texas and one of the other people asked about schools in Texas: simultaneously, I answered with a scowl that they’re terrible, and the other person lit up and claimed they were excellent. The look on that third face, trying to navigate what had just come at her, was hilarious.

34 Likes

Here in Texas, the similarly batshit State Board of Education is suspicious of set theory because it promotes a contemplation of the infinite apart from God, therefore it must be atheist, therefore it must be bad. A friend pointed out how bizarre this is, since Georg Cantor (creator of set theory) was deeply religious. The article doesn’t mention this, but who knows?

45 Likes

The dictionaries and encyclopedias contain all the bad words. They must ban those
smiling-face-with-horns_1f608

18 Likes

Maybe there was a reference to the fraction “three-fifths.”

54 Likes

So, does this mean the white supremacist teacher from Crystal River is going to get her job back?

8 Likes

A lot of it may just be hatred of “new math” and similar advancements since they were forced to memorize tables and proofs, if it was good enough for them then it is good enough for kids today. Lots of these people are old, don’t use computers unless forced to, hate the Internet, and generally want their beloved 60s/70s/80s back. They open a math textbook, and even if they’re not racist all they can see is stuff they don’t want to understand, and since they have the power of censorship, out it goes.

On the other hand, I remember Dr. Richard Feynman’s memoirs on when he was asked to evaluate some science textbooks for a public school system. They all were just plain wrong, in ways that would hamper the students who read them by giving them false equivalencies, incorrect information about energy sources and thermodynamics, and by generally being written by clearly non-scientific authors who themselves didn’t understand what they were writing about. If they had (and I do not believe Florida did) such people on their textbook evaluation committee, real mathematicians who refused to pass on books clearly wrong about their subject matter, then this would certainly be acceptable. I’m not holding my breath.

13 Likes

an alarming 71 percent were not appropriately aligned with Florida standards

Florida standards are worse than no standards at all.

If almost 3/4 of the books on math, of all things, offend your delicate sensibilities, that’s a sure sign the problem is not the textbooks, but you.

28 Likes

Speaking personally, I’m really rather glad that everyone else isn’t like these assholes!

7 Likes

Florida has standards now?

12 Likes

Yep. You fucking nailed it.

8 Likes

God, I remember having to do that in the shattered remnants of the local grammar school in North east England in the 80s. My parents went there and I had several textbooks with their names in them. Mind you, one of the maths ones had a whole chapter about data retrieval using filing cards with holes and notches and using knitting needles to run searches, which was fucking mind-blowing to my 11 year old nerd-brain. One assumes Florida would be banning vintage maths textbooks that were that valuable as well.

14 Likes