I would love to see examples of what Florida found unacceptable in those Math textbooks

“We only use whole numbers as God intended!”

14 Likes

The article mentioned “common core.” If you understand critical race theory through the writings of the John Birch Society, there’s a connection.

11 Likes

They literally said that it was because “forbidden topics” were mentioned… This is not some nostalgia for their youth via math class. It’s a direct, racist attack on education. Full stop. That’s what’s happening in these states (mine included).

One day, we’re gonna have to stop giving them the benefit of the doubt and finally see them for who they are and what they are trying to do. I just hope it’s not before we are starting at piles of bodies.

35 Likes

books

34 Likes

“unsolicited strategies”

wtf even is that? Googling seems to reveal that the term has never existed before this

10 Likes

I think figured it out.

3 Likes

Teaching kids how to draw electoral districts?

26 Likes

All of the math textbooks were non-binary?

38 Likes

In related news, Florida bans Cathode Ray Tubes and Charitable Remainder Trusts.

23 Likes

This has two audiences:

normal people: “what the fuck are they talking about?”
right wing nutjobs: our enemy will stop at nothing to indoctrinate school children; they even put propaganda into math textbooks.

21 Likes

Half of calculus is integration so that’s clearly unacceptable.

55 Likes

Nope; it’s NOT.

18 Likes

Here’s the press release that serves as the basis for many news articles.

In 2021, the Florida Department of Education (FDOE) called for bids from publishers to submit proposed mathematics instructional materials to be included on the state’s adopted list. Florida has been clear that instructional materials must first and foremost be aligned to Florida’s new B.E.S.T. Standards. In fact, FDOE proactively informed publishers in June 2021 that textbooks must align to the B.E.S.T. Standards, state laws regarding required instruction, and that they should not incorporate unsolicited strategies such as SEL in their instructional materials.

It is unfortunate that several publishers, especially at the elementary school grade levels, have ignored this clear communication and have attempted to slip rebranded instructional materials based on Common Core Standards into Florida’s classrooms, while others have included prohibited and divisive concepts such as the tenants of CRT or other unsolicited strategies of indoctrination – despite FDOE’s prior notification.

Other clues as to the exact nature of this bullshit may lie within. The tone of the letter reinforces that the board has political, rather than professional expertise.

18 Likes

I wish the press would ask the questions of “how was the math in the book wrong”? “What research do you have that these books would be less successful in teaching kids math?” “what’s the worst example you have of one of these books teaching bad information?”

14 Likes

Mmm-hmm, saw whatcha did there. Good on ya.

4 Likes

Fitting that the FLDOE doesn’t know tenants from tenets.

20 Likes

Yep. Oh, how we would laugh… then weep.

2 Likes

“I ain’t havin’ some teacher tell my kids 'bout transfinite numbers or homomorphic operations!”

25 Likes

It was Arabic numerals, wasn’t it? Please tell me it was Arabic numerals.

33 Likes

Also known as… numbers.

Yeah, I see how something like that could terrify feckless and willful morons…

19 Likes