I would love to see examples of what Florida found unacceptable in those Math textbooks

Nailed it.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Florida Republican leaders are preparing to ban Algebra from high schools. They object to the subliminal use of [brackets] as an indoctrination to the concept of inclusion, they don’t like the equal sign, and they hate solving problems!

18 Likes

Not true. Many of them love (((brackets))). And they believe that most problems have final solutions.

(too far?)

19 Likes

34 Likes

others have included prohibited and divisive concepts such as the tenants of CRT or other unsolicited strategies of indoctrination

Apparently Critical Race Theory owns apartment buildings in Florida now?

Tenets. The word is tenets. World class purveyors of education at work.

First they came for social studies and I didn’t speak up, then they came for math and I didn’t speak up, then they came for spelling and I did speek up butt bye then et wuz to lat.

37 Likes

This may be relevant

archive of washington post article In ‘social-emotional learning,’ right sees more critical race theory

12 Likes

So…are they saying there are solicited strategies of indoctrination??? Why would they need the odd modifier otherwise?:thinking:

16 Likes

Voltaire’s Dictionnaire philosophique was quite scandalous in its day.

2 Likes

Yeah. Literally what else could it be? It’s not like “Critical Race Theory” was showing up in grade school textbooks, much less math books. The only thing it could possibly be is images/word problems involving people of color. Either that, or the forbidden content is just as imaginary as the supposed teaching of CRT, and the reason for banning these has nothing to do with their actual content at all (but is about the publisher and their other books, etc.).

Oh, it’s so much worse than that. I remember a story in the '80s about a family that refused to let their children learn about Africa, because “it wasn’t Christian.” A whole continent (and I’m sure a hell of a lot more) was off limits to learn anything about, because the idea of their kids realizing the world wasn’t exactly like their family was too scary for them. These censorship efforts are coming from the same ideological place.

16 Likes

Tenants, because CRT lives in these folks’ heads, albeit rent-free. :man_shrugging:

18 Likes

I am more fearful of the examples that were found to be ACCEPTABLE (and likely very telling of their not so subtle aims.)

3 Likes

If anyone is curious, this is part of the Ontario Maths curriculum that was scrapped after an outcry by mathematicians and many other people. Maybe something like this was in the books?

8 Likes

For the life of me I cant figure out what is supposedly wrong with Social Emotional Learning.

Is it just that well adjusted children with good problem solving skills do not grow up to be Republican enough?

23 Likes

He Gets It Kieran Culkin GIF by SuccessionHBO

The Republican establishment sustains itself precisely through the denial of empathy and the rigid suppression of the very idea of the validity of experiences other than those of white Christians.

18 Likes

Well I can garon god damn T nothing like that is gonna be in a merican schoolbook!

3 Likes

Weapons of Math Destruction was an enjoyable read. At the same time, however, an effective critique of such mathematical models begins with a solid understanding of the underlying math.

2 Likes

These people must live in a constant state of terror that ideas of any sort might threaten their fragile view. Maybe it’s not just the math book per se but something the same publisher presents on other topics. Starve them out, don’t allow them to compete with christian mindsets.

1 Like

Once they start digging into the Calculus texts, they’ll ban them all because of the integrations.

3 Likes

I certainly hope they keep the al-jabr of Muḥammad ibn Mūsā al-Khwārizmī away from the kiddos.

15 Likes

New acceptable problems in Florida mathematics books.

Donald has twelve apples and sells 6 to Martina for fifteen dollars each. Martina gives Donald the money. Donald keeps all his apples. What does Donald now have? /s

I’m from the country where where the government says its laws take precedence over the Laws of Mathematics.

10 Likes

That equation needs to be balanced.

Donald borrows money to buy apples and never pays it back first.

20 Likes