I would love to see examples of what Florida found unacceptable in those Math textbooks

There is another option, even with them saying that. It is possible that they are lying about the books containing things that fall afoul of the law to provide politically useful evidence that the law was needed. Even assuming that they are objecting to the actual content may be assuming too much good faith on their part.

11 Likes

My guess is that if they had examples, they would lead with those. I think their strategy may be closer to McCarthy’s “I have in my hand a list…” Senator McCarthy says communists are in State Department - HISTORY

14 Likes

I have a hard time reading text in photos, too much zooming and scrolling.

Here’s a transcript which then gets a great big, wtf.

towards new understandings. Teachers observe and listen to all students and then responsively shape instruction in ways that foster and deepen student understanding of important mathematics. The fundamental concepts, skills, and processes introduced in the elementary grades support students in extending their learning in the secondary grades.

• An equitable mathematics curriculum recognizes that mathematics can be subjective.

Mathematics is often positioned as an objective and pure discipline. However, the content and the context in which it is taught, the mathematicians who are celebrated, and the importance that is placed upon mathematics by society are subjective. Mathematics has been used to normalize racism and marginalization of non-Eurocentric mathematical knowledges, and a decolonial, anti-racist approach to mathematics education makes visible its historical roots and social constructions. The Ontario Grade 9 mathematics curriculum emphasizes the need to recognize and challenge systems of power and privilege, both inside and outside the classroom, in order to eliminate systemic barriers and to serve students belonging to groups that have been historically disadvantaged and underserved in mathematics education.

• A mathematics curriculum is integrated with the world beyond the classroom.

The Grade 9 mathematics curricu

1 Like

One of the principles of Social–emotional learning is “he ability to have awareness of the emotions and social situations of other people” so no wonder “conservatives” are opposed to it.

There are a lot of paranoid obsessives seeing liberal bogeymen everywhere. For example they’re trying to claim that the character Luisa in Encanto is trans just because she is muscular and strong. It’s kind of funny how obsessed they are with these things while not understanding the first thing about them - if you wanted to surreptitiously introduce a trans woman into a children’s film you wouldn’t do it by making them big and muscular.

6 Likes

I think that there’s something in this. That and it serves to make them feel dumb. And that must be the fault of the book, not themselves.

1 Like

Their refusal to round Pi down to 3 was the final straw.

8 Likes

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

(How does one clean coffee from a tablet? Asking for a friend…)

6 Likes

That’s not a curriculum, that’s a curriculum policy. And I would wager all I have and then some that nothing even close to that has been included in Florida’s curriculum policy.

15 Likes

My guess would be set theory.
Apparently xians have a BIG problem with set theory because taken to it’s ‘logical extreme’ it disproves the ‘existence’ of god, or something along those lines.

1 Like

Also set theory is where the term intersection in intersectionality comes from. Set theory leads to critical race theory! Oh no!

3 Likes

What is wrong with that policy? If there were lessons that reinforced white supremacy, getting rid of those would be beneficial. Getting rid of a policy that supports diversity seems like a bad idea.

10 Likes

yeah. at least in america, teachers don’t have time for things like that. get them ready to work a job, that’s should be the only goal

(/s)

6 Likes

You really think them capable of such chicanery? They are dismantling democracy right out in the open.

6a00d8341c59aa53ef0168eb4a5d03970c-500wi|nullxnull

they are showing us who they are. Believe them and stop making excuses for racism.

Stephen Colbert Fireworks GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

18 Likes

Schitts Creek Ok GIF by CBC

6 Likes

6 Likes

It’s the numerical systems they teach. Mathematics is non-binary until you get into the later grades in high school.

2 Likes

Algebra was invented by brown people — Muslim people! Ergo it’s indoctrination.

Or maybe they didn’t like that pi wasn’t rounded down to 3. Maybe irrational numbers make them uncomfortable?

7 Likes

Trust Level 0 – New

By default, all new users start out at trust level 0, meaning trust has yet to be earned. These are visitors who just created an account, and are still learning the community norms and the way your community works. New users’ abilities are restricted for safety – both theirs and yours.

(We also want to hide any “advanced” functionality from new users to make the UI less confusing for them as they gain more experience.)

Users at trust level 0 cannot

• Send personal messages to other users
  • “Reply as new topic” via Link button (UI removed)
  • Flag posts
  • Post more than 1 image
  • Post any attachments
  • Post more than 2 hyperlinks in a post
  • Have actual links in the ‘about me’ field of their profile (will be silently and temporarily converted to plain text)
  • Mention more than 2 users in a post
  • Post more than 3 topics
  • Post more than 10 replies
  • Edit their own posts after more than 24 hours

lilo stitch rampage welcome to boingboing

14 Likes

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF
You win the internet today!

7 Likes

Even Indiana didn’t finalize that proposition to put it into law. Got further than it should have in the state legislature, but cooler heads prevailed in the end.

11 Likes