I would love to see examples of what Florida found unacceptable in those Math textbooks

We pay either way

So, what you are saying is that someone has taken a squat in these people’s heads? That does explain it

3 Likes

The dumbest and emotionally weakest people in our country are outraged and terrified at the fact that there are things in the world that they don’t understand. And there are a LOT of things to understand.

It’s truly pathetically sad.

14 Likes

First they came for the CRT, which wasn’t even in grade school. Then they used the panic to come for the social and emotional learning, which is in grade school and pretty damned vital. It will be even more vital as we claw our way out of the pandemic. From what I have heard, read, and understand, social and emotional learning is going to be more important than ever.
So the death cult is again successful at spreading misery.

16 Likes
12 Likes

I know you’re joking with this, but I really wasn’t.

2 Likes

Isn’t that a Gary Numan album?

I really hope people wake up to this by November.

Horror Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

15 Likes

From 1967

jbs math

It’s a wedge issue that has worked before, and apparently is working now. It’s a political tactic designed to get the wrong sort of people into power.

9 Likes

Me too. But even here, where people tend to be relatively well-informed and generally progressive, there are still plenty of folks who seem determined to “benefit of doubt” us straight into hell.

13 Likes

Includes list of the forbidden tomes, although we still lack specifics about the why.

15 Likes

Girlchild is in elementary school here in Commiefornia, and I do have to attest that the focus on SEL (social emotional learning) is probably a grave threat to republicans/conservatives.

I mean, if you teach the kids to be aware of their and other’s emotional states, and teach them to try to be compassionate, you’re not likely to have many future Republicans/Conservatives eh?

23 Likes

Well, math textbooks rely on several things that appall the GQP nowadays:

• Facts;
  • Theories, e.g. Number theory;
  • Rational thinking that doesn’t require divine intervention to explain phenomena;
  • Applying the same operation to both sides of an equation;

And maybe the offending books have word problems that delve into dangerous topics like:

• carbon dating that shows the Earth is older than 5,000 years;
  • genomic sequencing that implies evolution;

Who knows?

12 Likes

I’m half joking. Set theory is the language that critical race theory uses to explain different sources of oppression. If kids can’t speak that language, then they can’t understand CRT or intersectional feminism etc.
It wouldn’t surprise me if that led to censoring math.
(The same sort of thing happened to math in Nazi Germany if I remember my math history right.)

1 Like

They don’t understand CRT at all, let alone well enough to know what the prerequisites would be to learn it.

10 Likes

it’s always possible it’s random ( and/or kick backs are involved.) arbitrary enforcement of vague rules is one of the “features” of fascism i think

7 Likes

It wasn’t just a case of dismantling departments of mathematics by persecuting Jewish mathematicians; there actually was a mathematic counterpart to the much more infamous crackpot notion of Arische Physik.

The Nazi era:the Berlin way of politicizing mathematics

During that winter terrn of 1934, Bieberbach was teaching a course entitled “Great German mathematicians, a race- theoretic approach” where he supposedly explained what was subsequently published in three papers: a classification of styles of mathematical production based on E.R. Jaensch’s psychological typology of apperception (which was popular at the time, and was itself not originally based on racial ideas. although Jaensch
joined the riew trend later in the 1930s). This pseudo-scientific theory went well beyond a sirnple separation of “Aryan” from “Jewish” mathematics. but contained finer distinctions which of course brought inevitable problems of fitting certain mathematicians into the right slot - Hilbert, for instance. was notoriously hard to accommodate in Bieberbach’s theory.

3 Likes

Excuse Me What GIF by Nickelodeon

7 Likes

What about CiRcle Time?

The CRT has been there in pre-k all this time.

3 Likes

Correct, when they changed from imaginary numbers to integers that’s when the shit really hit the fan.

6 Likes