Florida approves right-wing jingoistic propaganda channel for use in schools

Originally published at: Florida approves right-wing jingoistic propaganda channel for use in schools | Boing Boing

2 Likes

What the everloving fuck?

That is absolutely insane. That shit isn’t just ideologically poisonous, it’s blatantly incorrect at a factual level.

If the good people of Florida don’t vote in some serious changes soon, they’re going to be fucked for generations.

26 Likes

The article says PragerU claims teachers say, “They are sick and tired of curriculum laced with radical political agendas…” Well wow, good job solving that problem.

18 Likes

18 Likes

Ugh - like 99% of their videos are complete bullshit. The only one I can remember agreeing with totally was when they had an army officer who was a military historian confirm that the Civil War was over the right to own slaves. A surprising position, given I figured they would spin it as “states rights”.

(Mea culpa if the one I am thinking about still has issues, I saw it like 5-6 years ago.)

11 Likes

At least they aren’t requiring teachers to use them. They’ve “approved them for use” which is an empty gesture at the end of the day because religious schools were surely already using them and public schools won’t start because the teachers can still choose not to.

Hopefully forcing this stuff into the public schools isn’t next although surely that would fail the inevitable 1A court challenge. At least one would hope, though with the current SCOTUS who knows.

15 Likes

those two usually go hand in hand, i think.

reality has a well known liberal bias

12 Likes

Damn you and your liberal, reality-based facts!

I’m going to get my own facts, and hookers, and blackjack!! /s

make it rain futurama GIF

When the “cure” is actually the disease.

…including mandatory viewing of Disney’s masterpiece, “Song of the South”

15 Likes

Unfortunately, there are plenty of right wing public school teachers in the rural parts (and suburban and urban parts} of the state who be only too happy to show Prager U content without an accompanying disclaimer, counter-argument, or hearty, derisive laugh.

The only good use for a Prager U video is to teach critical thinking skills as a weapon against mis- and disinformation.

(Edited a second time to correct a parenthesis placement and a misspelling introduced in the first round of editing. I’m getting old and sloppy.)

13 Likes

This got advertised to me not that long ago. It was insane enough I had to take a screenshot.

7 Likes

I’d say progressive rather than liberal.

They are not the same thing, I have had too many experiences with conservative liberals and Blue Labour types, and the about the best I can say about them is that they are less wrong than reactionaries and fascists (although Blue Labour are testing the limits).

10 Likes

Not too long ago, some felow on the BBS was fretting over a California state-approved civics textbook that mentioned Harvey Milk being an imposition on the values represented by local school boards. Somehow I doubt he’ll show up to fret in this topic.

9 Likes

Gentleman

10 Likes

it was from a colbert joke. but yeah, you’re not wrong

these days i associate liberalism with white privilege and polite culture. where america is basically perfect, and if we support the institutions as they are, everything will be fine

7 Likes

‘Twas a fallow fellow.

4 Likes

The problem though, is that teachers who aren’t right wing nut jobs are leaving the state in droves, leaving the right wing nut jobs who WANT to push this shit down kids throats to do so freely. Sometimes, you don’t need to impose something, you just need to push people with a fact-based worldview out by making it difficult to do their job.

Jinx, @xkot!

Coca Cola Coke GIF by LIMESODA Interactive Marketing GmbH

13 Likes

And the ones who stay behind learn to keep their mouths shut because they need their jobs.

9 Likes

Season 1 Bingo GIF by Paramount+

6 Likes

I saw this in rural Kentucky, when I used to visit elementary schools there. Fox News on the big TVs, teachers talking about Obama being a foreigner, listening to a teacher talk about how “Nixon got screwed by the liberals, who also lost Vietnam for us.” And the teacher who I came to visit saying “I just keep my head down and my scores up.”

So, this Praeger stuff is a sad thing, but it was going on long before this. Now they are (once again) doing the quiet part out loud, validating in policy what plenty of teachers were probably doing already.

6 Likes

Sure… goes right on back to the Daughters of the Confederacy writing history books, right?

9 Likes