High school principal required by law to look after horses that students rode to school

Originally published at: High school principal required by law to look after horses that students rode to school | Boing Boing

9 Likes

“…and the horse you rode in on!”

15 Likes

The duties of a high school principal in Montana are enumerated here.

8 Likes

When I was a senior in high school a friend who had graduated the prior year lived close enough to stop by and pick me up on her horse one afternoon after school. I only lived about two miles away so it was an easy walk for me but I absolutely did not mind spending a few hours taking the long way back to my home! I certainly paid for it the next day, of course, as I was very much not used to that. (Worth it, especially since I had held a crush on her for the entire time I’d known her and several years afterwards.)

21 Likes

Ah, the old, “Any other duties commensurate with the post” clause.

6 Likes

This definitely has the smell of one of those BS “zombie law” stories, which rarely seem able to summon up actual evidence of the law in question. As @klossner’s link points out, this is not among the enumerated duties. Unless, as @euansmith points out, it’s been determined to be commensurate with the post, which is obviously untrue under any commonsense contemporary reading.

4 Likes

My grandpa grew up in central Texas, a child of Czech immigrants. They raised horses and he was one of the kids who actually rode a horse to school.

7 Likes

He rode the horse to school; but could he make it learn?

23 Likes

The reporter is reporting from Missoula, but Conrad is in another county. (It’s the county seat of Pondera county.) It’s my wife’s hometown and she went there for HS. Those 12 students may be the entire senior class…

9 Likes

Learn? Central Texas? You do the math.

3 Likes
4 Likes

This was common in parts of rural Canada as late as the early 1960s as well. My dad rode his horse to school until high school.

4 Likes

Never rode a horse to school, but if it was really snowy then all the kids in my village would get taken to school sat on straw bales, in a trailer pulled by a tractor.
Mind you, that was 35 years ago, whereas I don’t think my niece has ever missed school due to snow. Thanks global warming, now kids don’t even get snow days :frowning:

3 Likes

More accurate headline: “Montana principal honors local tradition by…” There may or may not have been a law / job description at some point that included horse care, but this is just an annual headline-generating show of good fun.

7 Likes

I’m not allowed to carry a pail of water on a sidewalk in Winter.

Disclosure: I have, and got away with it.

1 Like

Welcome to the BBS!

1 Like

As pranks go, this one is a pretty fun tradition. If I were a school principal, I wouldn’t mind being tasked with tending to some horses for a day, just for a change of pace.

4 Likes

The horse was heads and shoulders above the rest of the students

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.