Hijab-wearing Muslim woman racially profiled as 'terrorist' sues Chicago police

for some reason your post reminds me of a line from anatole france-- the law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

i think the designation you’re really looking for is trolley not idiot. it’s a better fit.

13 Likes

Right, because full face masks are the equvililent of food and shelter.

/s

You are a poor listener. You focus on the parts of people’s arguments that suit you and you interpret them in the fashion that you think will be easiest to beat, rather than making the effort to see them in their best forms.

I’m still waiting for responses from you about the parallels between facial coverings and opaque sacks, your inconsistencies in the definitions of words that you choose to accept, the assertion that your proposed law would fail to make anyone safer, or any kind of justification at all for behavioural profiling based on expressions or body language, and just one example of a recent terrorist who bothered to wear a mask.

I feel foolish for engaging you. I’m going on holiday.

11 Likes

They’re dead-set on a technical win in the worst way. I’m guilty of it often enough to recognize it. Too bad the thread’s ranged so far afield that any victory at all for any participant would be pyrrhic and generally meaningless at this point.

3 Likes

That’s a lot of words to avoid answering my simple question about whether you support the right of the KKK to wear full face masks in public with impunity.

Do you? Yes or no?

1 Like

they kept working over the concept of the coercion inherent in the hijab in this comment thread – Muslim-American woman kicked out of Family Dollar store for wearing hijab and niqab

they seem to have abandoned that line of excreta in favor of straight up discrimination against muslim women in this thread.

although quibbling over minutiae was part of their approach in both threads.

6 Likes

If you actually read my posts you’ll find that isn’t true. I conceed that my position has trade offs.

Listen, we’re too alike for me to go back on what I said. You’ve conceded a few points, but you’re still battling the wrong thing here, and I wish that you’d had the grace or tact to just say something like “while I don’t agree it’s ‘race’…”

Instead you decided to get into an argument about linguistics, law, personal identification, socially acceptable behavior, individual choice of clothing, semantics, and irrelevant psychology from a century or so ago.

You’ve chosen to change the topic to something tenuously related every time someone else has rebutted your claim and you yourself have been moving goalposts. For shame, @skeptic. We all fall down sometimes, but you don’t have to fish-flop down the stairs. I’m trying to be kind here, but you’ve decided to change topics as often as you lose on the specific point. I’ve done it too. My history here is public, you can see for yourself. It feels bad losing the fight, but at this point you might as well either try to get back on topic, or peace-out. I’m not telling you to leave. By all means stay. But you’ve stopped contributing value to the conversation long ago.

2 Likes

Really?

I knew my position wouldn’t be popular on BB’s BBS, but to claim I should be ashamed to support a consistent position on full face masks is rediculous.

All rights are a balancing act with other people’s rights. Everyone but anarchists agree that there have to be lines drawn - the only difference is a matter of degrees on where we draw the lines. I’m holding a fairly new ones position where we should draw the line, and I think full face masks is a reasonable position to draw a line at.

I’ll grant, the last few posts, you’ve been somewhat consistent. But that’s a small minority of your posts on this thread. I’d suggest re-reading the whole thread. I have twice now, and you’re arguing in a desperate way that doesn’t make you look good and doesn’t really support your position much.

Here’s my final signoff: I agree law is a balancing act. And I recognize we disagree pretty much on polar opposites of where the cards should fall. I’d like you to use evidence to support your claims. You did name yourself @skeptic after all. The only people with concrete examples and evidence relevant to your arguments in this thread so far are people other than you.

3 Likes

This is a judgement call. An opinion. Where to draw the line on full face masks is my opinion on a reasonable trade off on rights. So, unlike alt med arguments, there isn’t a scientific answer. Science can be used to inform our moral judgements but it can’t make them.

1 Like

Thanks for making an honest effort finally. I can certainly agree with you that it’s opinion.

Good night. I’m tired of reading this thread. Much less arguing here.

3 Likes

I’m generally a fan of your posts @LDoBe, but I reject your false contention that all of my posts in this thread but one are dishonest. I’ve certainly not accused you of anything remotely similar , and I would appreciate it if you would not make false averments.

I said honest effort. It’s a euphemism. I really do mean to thank you. You don’t have to keep context-switching.

3 Likes

Thanks. I appreciate the clarification, and I like you regardless of this disagreement. But you did say “finally”, which implies the converse about all the previous posts. That isn’t “context switching” on my part. If you are going to use a semantic magnifying glass on all of my posts you don’t get to exempt yourself from the same.

1 Like

This isn’t the youtube comment section. Try to add value or be productive.

1 Like

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck…

2 Likes

So, you are doubling down and saying I have an IQ under 25. Ad hominems do not actually give you the moral high ground.

I’ve been entirety civil in this discussion but I’ve been personally attacked by a number of people, including yourself.

Okay, Pee-wee.

You’re stooping. Maybe you should try a different tack. One that’s more than plain expressing how much you dislike your interlocutor. At least I tried to restart the dialog.

You do think you’re a better person than me right? Act like it.

1 Like

Really? So, if I showed you two photos - one of a Japanese man and one of a black man and asked you which one was more likely to have sickle cell anemia, you would not be able to have an opinion on the matter?