Hiker attacked with cuddles from a wild Marmot

That marmot has a hidden agenda…

4 Likes

And @Jim1 and @GratuitousFish, I can’t remember where, but I once heard baby birds called “nature’s candy” - basically anything will eat baby birds if the can get them. Deer and other herbivores, etc

5 Likes

Man: “The most surprising thing is that we did nothing to charm her.”

Naturally Occurring Salt Lick Outcropping: “Right!?”

9 Likes

Goddamnit, I keep reading the headline as Hitler attacked with cuddles from a wild Marmot.
Which, arguably, might have changed the timeline dramatically had it actually happened in, say the early 1920ies.

8 Likes

How many of those diseases do Alpine marmots carry, as opposed to North American ones (or Mongolian in the case of the bubonic plague)? I think it’s pretty clear from the video that this happened in the French or Swiss Alps

1 Like

“Less well-known than the drug-sniffing dogs or land-mine-detecting rats, the salt-licking marmots trained by allied forces were deemed ‘essentially pointless’ and the program discontinued. Some of these marmots escaped into the wild, and their offspring are still sometimes encountered in the Alps region.”

6 Likes

I’d rate the alpine capybara as “similarly chill; but 50% less serene”.

2 Likes
6 Likes

US marmots have bubonic plague too, but people are more likely to get it from marmots in Mongolia simply due to much greater exposure (because they’re game animals there). I would have assumed marmots in Europe would be carrying a similar range of diseases (albeit maybe not Yersinia pestis, which seems more a North American/Asian thing), but this research suggests that, if you’re going to get licked my a marmot, Europe would be the place to do it:

3 Likes

Nice marmot.

(well, somebody had to say it.)

1 Like

That should be the new EU motto. :joy:

6 Likes

I need an old-timey men’s adventure magazine with the cover story “Licked by a Marmot!” Shirtless blonde dude, rippling muscles, recoiling in terror and rage while fighting off an amorous rodent. They’re probably floating in the middle of the ocean for some reason. A list of secondary story titles running down the side of the cover including “Love Rodents of The Third Reich” and “I Was a Teenaged Gopher Girl: Tales of The Strange World of Russian Whistlepig Rodeos.”

5 Likes

tl;dw

Politics Lies GIF by PEEKASSO

5 Likes

Someone’s tourism board has that up on the board after a brainstorming session on new tourist ads…

Hmmm…

9 Likes

Salt Vampires are back…

2 Likes

The podcast, “The Ensign’s Log”, features the Salt Vampire in its first episode.

1 Like

tenor

4 Likes

His little foot stamp gets me every time!

5 Likes

Salt? I thought is was fat?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.