Hilarious review of the Nikon Df

It is, indeed, a sexy piece of kit. I’m torn between it and the G16 at the moment.

Also consider the Fuji X, I love the X10/20 line.

Oooh yeah, that’s another contender, the X20.

It’s a shame that there are so many great small cameras out there these days, you get paranoid you’ll spend five hundred bucks and then they send out a full frame version a week later. First world problem, sure, but so many great pocket camera options that you can’t go wrong with any of those.

That is part of the problem, and part of why I’m waiting until CES is done - though I haven’t seen any pocket camera options announced (yet) that meet my specific needs: excellent low light performance (f/1.8, acceptable noise at high ISO), fast (ish) focus, and manual controls. The G16, RX100-2, and X20 are all up there. So now it’s just about going and playing with them to see which I like best, and which mix of extra features I find more compelling.

Not to derail the discussion even more, but I love what digital has done for photography.
It’s democratized (for lack of a better word) the ability to take and share pictures in a wonderful way.
I got into photography back in the days when I had to scrape up the money for when I wanted to shoot a couple rolls of film and maybe make some prints. Lord help me if I wanted to shoot Velvia and print THOSE.
Now someone can get a camera from Target/Amazon/B&H for dirt cheap (or use their phone) and pull off damn nice shots for essentially nothing and show the world. And print them for about nothing if they so choose.
My wife never really owned a camera when she was younger, so the first one she ever used on a regular basis was one I gave her prior to a vacation we took together some years back.
When I “processed” the pics at home from me and from her, it was amazing. She was a total natural, and uninhibited in just shooting away at what she thought would look cool rather than having to “worry” like I used to about how much film I was using.
She’s a way better natural photographer than me. Especially travel.

1 Like

DXOMark gives the following scores for ISO:

G16: 230
RX100-2: 483

Nikon Df: 3279

If you need low ISO capability, the newer full frame cameras are so much better-- you can’t really beat a Full frame + f/1.8 lens unless you violate the laws of optics. Even a f/0.9 lens will only get you two stops over a f1.8.

Well sure, if I want the absolute best low light performance, a full frame camera is going to be my best option. But if I don’t have my camera with me because it’s too bulky to carry everywhere, all of those benefits go out the door. “The best camera is the one that you have with you” or whatever that quote is, etc etc.

And while the Df is lovely and small for a full frame DSLR, it’s still REALLY HONKIN’ BIG compared to, say, the RX100 mk II :slight_smile:

Edit: Thanks for reminding me about dxomark though… Useful for comparison purposes.

One more edit: And there’s also the significant price difference, too. If I really wanted to go crazy, I could get the Sony RX-1 :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you really want to commit to camera quality, nothing will beat large format. And by large format I am, of course, referring to the Polaroid Museum Camera. Anything less than 44x80 and I don’t see why you’d bother when you’re just compromising the image.

1 Like

hmm. I don’t read the Luminous Landscape that often, but it`s my understanding that medium and large format digital backs excel at ISO 50, and start to degrade before ISO 800. That’s probably because fashion and product photographers know how to light a scene, and landscape photographers have tripods. But sports photographers need to use crappy natural lighting to capture pictures of fast moving athletes; and they use full frame dlsrs. Canikon’s engineers have responded.

The Museum Camera is 44 inches by 80 inches, a tad larger than any digital backs out there.

It’s also f/45, and requires 30,000 - watt seconds of flash.

Well yeah, but that’s how you’re going to really get quality.

It would be useless for landscapes, though. Depth of field is approximately half an inch. (And the focal distance is fixed at less than infinity, to boot)

No word on Jack’s thoughts though? Bummer.

Here’s a serious review I found too. This is a fun game!

DP Review has mostly kind words but says it’s too expensive for too little.

And they have photos.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-df/18

Do you work for Nikon, offhand? Seems odd you’d show up and start posting just in this one thread. If you own the gear, that’s fine, but in the end it’s just a camera and some people might not want to buy it for many reasons.

You won’t get an answer. I ate him.

I would have preferred it if you’d scared him into a dumpster first.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.