Holdouts who refuse to sell their "nail houses" to developers

I’ve really got no dogs in this fight, I was just saying I don’t share everyone’s reverence for her. But I will offer a few points of clarificarion:
Eminent Domain never came into play (clearly) The only thing that happened is that she refused all their offers, all of which would have offered her what most people would consider a much higher quality of life than living in the middle of a construction site. Mike’s Chili (literally right around the corner) did exactly the same thing and is completely overlooked by the balloon installing crowd. I wonder if her deification is based in large part to the coincedent release of Up! and it’s subsequent advertising tie-in (or tie-on, as it were…)
Somewhat relevant - the development that went in contains a number of very popular businesses including the high end department store chain Ross, and also Trader Joes.

In the US “property rights” only matter between the Government and “the people”. Since corporations are people too, this leads to the inevitable conclusion, property rights mattering more than human rights.

2 Likes

There’s a house in a Boeing parking lot down at Boeing Field, too. There used to be another right in the middle of one. Is Seattle a hot bed for these things?

See also the Lusty Lady that refused to sell out to the Four Seasons.

I drive past Macefield’s house every day. Don’t think it did sell, For Sale signs are still up. The auction got no bids because of the associated debts, and the sale after doesn’t seem to have gone through. The owner is insisting that the purchaser include some kind of memorial when they develop the house.

Not sure what it could be used for, a cafe perhaps?

Some people put a very very high premium on staying where they are. Uprooting them, especially after most of their life spent in that one spot, can then hasten their demise significantly. Moving is a very stressful thing.

3 Likes

High end? Is this the Ross chain you mean?

1 Like

Yep.

(On the business, anyway, not if it’s high end, 'cos y’know…)

For the curious, the Holdouts episode of the 99% invisible podcast might be of interest. Better listened to, but the summarized article is not bad either.

Oh, now I get it (a little too slow today for subtlety)!

Wanna go in halfsies? We can sell custom balloons and reclaimed building materials.

1 Like

Happens in the UK too. This farm is reputedly a holdout, so the motorway split around it …

There is a nail house in the Heights neighborhood of Houston. Developers put in a multistory apartment complex, but had to build around the lone holdout.

Given how thrilled I am with the Heights development these days, that makes me very, very happy.
Now if only we had more like that in the Montrose area…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

1 Like