Holiday gifts for the budget audiophile

I auditioned Grado SR-80s back in the day, and found their supra-aural design to be quite uncomfortable as well. I ended up spending more for a pair of Sennheiser HD-590s (and later HD-600s) which were much more comfortable and better sounding. Obviously they are extremely open and not practical for a lot of applications.

1 Like

Anyone who is playing typically-compressed MP3’s – and that includes myself – has given up the right to consider themselves an audiophile. A music lover, perhaps, but any claim to high fidelity snobbery is meaningless when the medium doesn’t support it.

Of course the fact is that most people either can’t hear the difference or aren’t worried about it, but that’s not audiophile as traditionally defined.

(… Oh good; just noticed that my current maintenance med has gotten rid of a lot of the tinnitus. It was in an upper frequency I could mostly ignore, but still!)

1 Like

Came here to say this, but it’s worth knowing that it’s a decent stereo. My friend owns one and I’m constantly surprised it sounds so good.

Also, who the hell linked these products? How is it worth Best Buy’s advertising cost to link to the manufacturer’s website instead of the product on their own site. Marketing fail.

@bwv812 this is obviously advertising and they even leave the comments open for us to rail on stuff… I don’t see the problem here. Also it’s almost definite that Best Buy chose the products, not BB.

Do you have any suggestions of one that’s worth building (and hopefully available as a kit)?

2 Likes

It’s not straight advertising, but a “sponsored” post. My ad-blocker gets rid of the traditional advertisments I am always surprised to see when I view Boing Boing on public computers (especially the McDonalds ones), but these sponsored posts still appear.

It’s also interesting to wonder how this compares to The Atlantic’s Scientology advertorials, previously covered here. Here’s what Mr. Beschizza had to say back then:

After running Church of Scientology advertorial, The Atlantic has updated its advertising policy. They nail the problem, too.

The Atlantic will refuse publication of such content that, in its own judgment, would undermine the intellectual integrity, authority, and character of our enterprise.

Does this advertisement “undermine the intellectual integrity, authority, and character of [Boing Boing’s] enterprise”? Maybe that’s a pretentious way of looking at it, but it’s certainly not in keeping with the character of what BB does.

It’s not straight advertising

Oh?

Wow. You must really think people are absolute imbeciles if you think that you’re bringing any insight to the table by pointing out that the sponsored post is advertorial. I mean, who would have imagined that a post brought to us by Best Buy and containing no byline would be advertisement, even if it didn’t explicitly say it was advertisement (which it obviously does)? Maybe this explains why I never even said this wasn’t an ad in my original comment—it’s pretty clear that it is an advertisement, and the fact that it’s an ad doesn’t change my point.

On the other hand, it still isn’t straight advertisement any more than Frauenfelder’s Toyota sponsored posts are straight advertisements. Can you also read the part of your screen-grab where it says “sponsored” and acknowledges it is a “post”? I hope you can do that even without any highlighting of those specific words. And can you read the rest of my post where it’s clear that this is different from other forms of advertisement that appear on the site? Any other straw men you want to demolish?

By the way, here are a couple of pure ads that I captured by firing an un-blocked browser. Notice how they are not “sponsored,” nor are they “posts.”

heh, the words “audiophile” and “beats by dre” in the same article, without a hint of irony. in the same week i saw a deal on audio technica ATH-50s on sale for less than 100 bucks. which themselves aren’t exactly “audiophile” level, but they kick the everlasting shit out of anything from the Beats camp every day and twice on Sunday. certainly some of the best cans you can have in the sub-$300 level. i myself am a Sennheiser fan, but the AT as well as the Grado stuff is real solid, and much better bang for the buck vs. anything from the ridiculous Beats line. why not just go to an airport Brookstone store and buy Bose? what a joke.

1 Like

Moderator note: Advertising on BB can be discussed but stay on topic in this thread. Thank you.

2 Likes

Budget? “You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means”

Quick note: the basic advertorial rule (enshrined in our published policy): if it says ADVERTISING/ADVERTISEMENT they wrote it. If it’s “sponsored”, we did and they’re advertising ‘against’ it with a little graphic or some other arrangement that requires disclosure.

You said it’s not straight advertising, even though it is labelled as such. That is all.

It is not straight advertising, but a sponsored post that caries the Boing Boing imprimatur and—according to Beschizza’s post above—was written by Boing Boing.

OMFG I hate this F quote.
AND I FUCKING LOVE THIS FUCKING QUOTE!

1 Like

Objective2 has a DIY kit available, CMOYBB as well. JDSLabs sells them, but I’m sure you can find others selling them too. I’ve always had good service from JDSLabs, so here are their links.

http://www.jdslabs.com/products/82/objective2-diy-kit/
http://www.jdslabs.com/products/76/cmoybb-diy-kit-rechargeable/

1 Like

Thanks dude! Was wondering where all the BB makers were at :smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.