Hollywood could soon get a wild-looking high-rise, called The Star

They can solve two problems at once. While they’re building shit, maybe they should build shit for people (besides the super rich) to move into.

4 Likes

Obviously, LA gets to build one project every turn, and this is what the’ve decided to expend resources on. At some point, I expect they’ll need to construct additional pylons.

2 Likes

My first thought when I saw that image was “Oh, great, they’ve learned nothing from the Walkie-Talkie Building or the Death Ray hotel in Las Vegas.”

4 Likes

This is always my thought too with something like this. A bunch of billionaires are excited to build a weird new building to show off to other billionaires. Aside from some poor people hired to clean the toilets in it, said fancy building will do nothing to improve most peoples’ lives in the area. It’s just conspicuous consumption at the end of the day and I’m at a point where stories like this just make me sad about society’s priorities.

5 Likes

Both of those buildings have concave exterior reflective surfaces that act as solar concentrators. I’m only seeing convex surfaces on this one. The interior space up top may have a bit of greenhouse effect going on though.

3 Likes

There is a faint curve on the left that could be interpreted as an all glass railing, but it does not look very practical.

Good point. I wonder if there is any risk of it working like a double convex lens and focusing light? I don’t know what effect the air gap between the lens elements would have on that. (It’s been a while (45+ years) since I took University Physics, and my memory is a bit fuzzy when it comes to lens equations.)

1 Like

Raphael Viñoly must be stopped.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.