Holographic chocolate

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/17/holographic-chocolate.html

4 Likes

Before reading the title, I flinched at what looked like “sharp piece of metal in bloody hands.”

6 Likes

I thought someone didn’t wash their hands before playing with food :wink:

Shiny fun with food.

4 Likes

in b4 “tHat iS NoT a tRuE HoLoGrAm!!1 U jUsT LoSt a ReaDEr!” Take it up with the video uploader.

What’s with the hostility? I was under the impression this was a pro-STEM blog. Shouldn’t that include resistance against perpetuating false information?

Holograms are cool. Plain old diffraction gratings are cool, too, as are thin-film optical effects. But let’s call a spade a spade.

6 Likes

Holo-choc is melting in the dark
All the sweet, brown cocao flowing down…

(Richard Harris’s evil twin)

1 Like

Being a fatalist nerd m’self, i’m sympathetic to your righteousness. Yet i suspect the origin of this reaction is like unto that of the “grammar police” - it being more linguistically than science based. “Hologram” just meaning “whole-writing”; albeit Gábor Dénes’ original coinage definitely meaning in the 3d sense.

In the marketplace of word usage “the mob has spoken” is what we must usually accept. Personally i always lamented “decimate”, which was a Roman punishment involving killing ‘only’ one tenth (hence “deci-”) of the population now taken to mean something much worse. But if i point that out i’m chased away by the mob, so pick one’s battles.

5 Likes

The hostility is not directed at STEM, but at angry pedantic commenters who can never just enjoy a neat thing. Everything has to be a platform for them to work out their daddy issues and show how smart they are.

I say this with some amount of projection, because I know I am prone to being the “well, actually” poster in some of these threads. I’m working on it. :smiling_face:

10 Likes

My title quotes the video uploader, who deliberately uses the term “hologram” in the inaccurate way. Any time I do that, even if I point out the accurate term in the post, some people get very upset.

I feel an important part of getting laypeople interested in science is to meet them where they are in understanding and terminology, then clarify. I’m sure the scientist in the video knows, too, but she is trying to get zoomers jazzed about chemistry. Many are less inclined to look at something titled “diffraction-grated chocolate.”

12 Likes

I see a marketing opportunity here. Who wouldn’t want grated diffraction grated chocolate to top a cake with?

3 Likes

Holographic chocolate

Band name!

1 Like

You still got a recipe for that… sounds delicious?

Ohhhh woawwww

1 Like

I agree - pedantry is good in the side notes where the inquisitive will find it. Sucking the life out of an exciting idea being shared with good will is just noise.

Personally I didn’t read this as hostility, kinda made me lol… thinking of the frustration of having to tippy toe over eggshells to make my post bullet proof before the ‘pedants’ bring the noise! And not the good ‘noise’ that Public Enemy espouses.

I like the shiny reflections on chocolate though, and wouldn’t be surprised if this is seen more and more in modern food!

2 Likes

Hey! You merged your hologram of peanut butter with my hologram of chocolate!

3 Likes

I prefer Sexual Chocolate

1 Like

I’ve made diffraction grating chocolate. It worked beautifully

If you want some more info on how this is done, earlier work is by Tech Ingredients and Applied Science. Probably lots of others as well.

There are two ways to use the word. There’s the intended use, but “holo” or “holographic” when used as a term for purely a visual effect is different and it’s a term i both understand and am ok with. It’s a layman way of referring to materials that have some type of refractive quality For those that get upset… holo effects are a pretty widely used term so it’s a pointless hill to die on.

Oh. Nnnnnnnooooooooooooooo.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.