Hong Kong anti-litter campaign swipes DNA from trash, uses it to create mugshots of suspected litterers

[Permalink]

Snapshot DNA phenotyping to produce a sketch of each littererā€™s face based on the DNA sample found on the trash.

To be clear, this is a wholly fictional thing with zero real-world degree of accuracy, such that any ā€œreproductions shaped according to the genetic dataā€ is unlikely to actually look like the people who supply the genetic data, right?

2 Likes

It would be so much creepier if the litterers could be easily identified and then anti-litter mobs took the law into their own hands.

1 Like

Internet vigilantism - Wikipedia

The genetic reconstruction of the appearance is not reliable yet, albeit a ballpark figure can be acquired.

However, if combined with a database of DNA profiles, and could be used to match to actual person, such things could get pretty badā€¦

1 Like

Or they just generated some random CG-faces and made up a really good Bullshit story for their submission at the next Cannes Lions awards.

9 Likes

I could see some HS-level (or less) educated person saying to myself ā€œI donā€™t want my face up there, I better not litterā€.

1 Like

Agreed. Honestly it would be pretty stupid of them if they actually bothered to go through the extra effort of finding and analyzing DNA.

3 Likes

Unless they wanted to try if it could work.

Well, if the gov can just get the national DNA bank going, they could just run the sample and bring up the persons mug shot. (per shaddack)

Litter-bugs beware!

but seriously, why arenā€™t there places to dump garbage for free, Iā€™m talkā€™s dumpsters, not just cans, same thing with old electronic devices.

1 Like

Are we sure this isnā€™t some sort of guerrilla marketing for a new season of Black Mirror?

And, by creepier, you mean awesome, right?

Can DNA actually tell you much about a personā€™s age? I gather thereā€™s some damage that occurs as you get older, but how much could you predict from that, and would it go into the the composite?

1 Like

well, thatā€™s putting it quite generously. we really donā€™t have the technology or even theoretical understanding yet to map genes to the actual physical features required to recognize someone, even approximately.

the composite is even sketchier. basically, one thing we can do is match ancestral groups; so at best someone will have relatively ā€œpureā€ genetic markers for [insert ethnicity], and the output would then be the average member of [insert ethnicity]. you can call that a ā€œballpark figureā€ if you want, but itā€™s sort of like saying that phrenology was a legitimate first shot at neuroscience.

I looked it up (ā€œface reconstruction from dnaā€, a trivial query), and, well, genetic phenotyping is apparently a bit better developed than I expected it to be.

More here, including three examples of real vs inferred-from-DNA faces.

mmm. iā€™m sure i donā€™t have to tell you not to believe everything you read about technology thatā€™s ā€œright around the cornerā€ā€¦

in fact if you read those articles carefully, youā€™ll see that apart from whatā€™s inferrable from ancestry (and a very few other catch-as-catch-can traits which happen to be easy to infer), the rest is quite speculative. of course weā€™ll get there eventually, but there are quite a few breakthroughs standing in the way. donā€™t be too impressed by three cherry-picked examples of ā€œinferred-from-DNAā€ faces.

Yes, I am aware of that. Impressive what can be already done, isnā€™t it?

(shrug) I guess. It mostly boils down to statistical correlations, so how impressive it is depends a lot on context. Maybe Iā€™m just feeling pessimistic today.

Sorry, I thought you were disagreeing with me earlier.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.