Hong Kong protesters use lasers to blind security cameras

I suppose they would have to be.

They’re not exactly ewok-proof.

5 Likes

The alternative is generally molotov cocktails.Riot cops looking to undermine democratic protections don’t generally get a lot of sympathy from me.

6 Likes

Damn ewoks getting into everything and eating fallen troopers.

4 Likes

Wow, I had this occur in the Traveler campaign I was running. Had an android assassinating a stockholder of a company and when it entered the roof level apartment it started blinding all the security cameras. I had a grav-vehicle parked nearby that contained the full footage as it had an unregistered dash camera for the player characters to discover.

Weird watching your sci-fi shit showing up in reality a few years later.

3 Likes

You guys are just victim to the anti-Imperial propaganda. Of course the victors would dehumanize the Empire into a bunch of inept fools, beaten back by a primitive force. They don’t show the thousands of Ewoks slaughtered, only succumbing when they ran out of blaster energy packs and were overwhelmed. I mean in the “movie” (pure fiction) they show ONE dead Ewok so you feel sorry for them. They also made sure to cut all the dingleberries out of their fur for that presentation.

Next thing you’re going to tell me you believe in their revisionist history that Greedo shot first!

3 Likes

Well, from the report, the protesters are targeting video cameras, not police officers - AFAIK, it’s not possible to cause any kind of eye injury to anyone watching the CCTV/video feeds, any damage can only be caused by direct contact to the retina by a coherent light source; that light doesn’t have to be that powerful to cause temporary sight impairment, which is probably what’s intended.
Of course, there are very powerful lasers available on the open market, about 5w, that can cause permanent sight loss, and it’s likely that there are protesters who have them, but I’m certain that the main intention is to disable the surveillance systems that the Chinese government and their Hong Kong proxy are putting in place; a panopticon is only as good as the information it gets, and if the means are found to significantly compromise it, without harm to other people, then so much the better.

4 Likes

After a few Death Stars fall into aggressive disrepair, you start to question the party line a little.

3 Likes

We also won’t go into the massive environmental damage done to Endor by the insidious Rebels. What did they think would happen when the debris of a space station the size of a small moon fell upon the planet?

4 Likes

Sounds like they need some Reflectacles: https://www.reflectacles.com/

1 Like

Hmm. Seems like something that Cory Doctorow might have explored in something I read not that long ago.

1 Like

Totally loving these protesters and their nonviolent methods to neutralize tear gas grenades and, now, surveillance monitoring. Impressive!

2 Likes

Erm. Death Star II was anchored to a moon of Endor; the Ewoks resided on the moon. I rather expect that Endor’s greater gravitic attraction would have grabbed most of the larger chunks.

yes, and someone I know was blinded by one of those lasers a few years ago at Burning Man. But let’s think about the dire situation in Hong Kong and what they can lose otherwise, because that is an enormous factor here. this should not be compared to idiots playing with lasers in other contexts.

2 Likes

impressive! thats kinda awesome, kid.

and also completly nuts! and I dont mean that in a good way.

2 Likes

forget it. see how low the deathstar is orbiting in stationary orbit over the moon? thats all gonna end on the surface of the moon.

1 Like

the video is great and the protesters are great the twitter user that posted the version of the vid however seems to be quite the right wing shill. although she IS against tech companies but just so far as to help the right wingers.

1 Like

The new trailer hints that they might be revising Endor. Maybe.

2 Likes

While not as poweful, still very cool.

3 Likes

CGI Ewoks!!! Oh no!

3 Likes

They might all be dead!

3 Likes