Hoping dicks do not rain from the sky, a law firm opens up shop in the "Metaverse"

page hearts GIF

5 Likes

Jennifers Body Truth GIF

7 Likes

Boy, it’s really coming down out there! It’s raining scrotes and logs!

2 Likes

I love this headline. It makes me realize that literally every single declarative sentence I could say about my life can honestly be prefaced with the first half:
“Hoping dicks do not rain from the sky, Clutch brushes and flosses every night.”
And also it’s a little challenge to try to imagine what someone would do hoping that dicks did rain from the sky…
“Hoping dicks rained from the sky, Tyler and Brody took a deep breath and opened the doors for their first sponsored “Pick Up Artist” Seminar.”

5 Likes

Tom and Harry looked up hopefully.

10 Likes

Joke Reaction GIF by Travis

4 Likes

I’m so tired of it already and it’s only going to get worse.

The metaverse is the name for the combined network of 3D virtual worlds in which people work, play and socialize.

There’s nothing “combined” about these whatsoever! Roblox content is not in Fortnite and neither of them have the slightest thing to do with Second Life! And unless a few billion dollars change hands, that’s not likely to change anytime soon! But on the bright side, the confusion is probably going to tank anything Facebook tries to get started.

7 Likes

Yeah, exactly, a necessary element that defines the “metaverse” is its ubiquitous nature - that it’s the platform/standard in which everything works. The way it’s being used right now is like calling your company web page “the internet.” Though actually it’s worse than that, as I notice all sorts of companies using “metaverse” to describe projects that have anything to do with virtual spaces (no matter how abstractly) and/or being online. (Crypto scam companies love both the term and to use it in highly… inventive ways.) Lately almost every big game publisher has been talking about building “metaverses” (including as something separate from their games), and I have no idea what any of them actually mean by it.

In general usage, the term means basically nothing, though much of the press coverage focuses on Facebook and their specific platform (or at least how they’ve defined it). Still, I think you’re right - it’s being used so broadly by so many companies now (in ways that are so ill-defined), it can’t help but impact Facebook’s plans by creating absolutely massive amounts of confusion.

Also, I think the whole idea of the metaverse, in its ubiquitous sense, can’t work. It requires a stable identity (and all that entails) across multiple contexts - we don’t do that with the internet now (nor do we want to), and it’s even more problematic in a virtual space.

5 Likes

1 Like

1982 FTW

6 Likes

I diligently stayed home, watching Netflix, reading books and drinking whisky. For the Good Of Society doncha know.

It was lovely.

6 Likes

Coming to this topic a bit late, but back in August 2020 NHK World had a piece about a Tokyo department store creating a virtual shopping experience. This clip had me ROTFLing (soz for the vertical vid):

Then this one launched a few months later:

4 Likes

This also reminds me of that movie (apparently based on a comic book) called Surrogates which posits a society where most people stay at home in their VR interfaces and experience the world remotely via remote-controlled android bodies.

One of the many dumb things about the movie is that everyone still seems to commute to work—or rather, have their android bodies commute to work—and a lot of their work days are still spent sitting at desks. So they basically have a world where everyone is telecommuting all the time but they intentionally recreate all the hassle that comes with having to physically move human bodies around.

6 Likes

Pool’s closed due to dicks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.