7 Likes

“You must carry your speck to full pachydterm!”

18 Likes

8 Likes

It would scan better if the last couplet was:

“I got my job from an elephant president,
So I’m loyal to elephants, not female residents.”

5 Likes

I remember the Horton books being promoted as anti-abortion, and even heard that’s what Suess meant for them to be. I think that was pre-internet so I don’t know if that’s the case or whether anti-abortion movement just hijacked the “person’s a person no matter how small” idea

3 Likes

I’m laughing.

But I’m crying.

4 Likes

According to Seuss biographer Phil Nel, Geisel threatened to sue an anti-abortion rights group during the 1980s that used the statement on its stationery, forcing them to back down.

The web site of the local philanthropic organization, The San Diego Foundation, has a page titled “Women in Philanthropy” which says of Theodor and Audrey Geisel, “His legacy has been preserved in the The Dr. Seuss Fund, set up by his widow, Audrey, to benefit organizations that he would support if alive.”

Planned Parenthood is listed among the organizations benefiting from the fund. Also, News Notes reported last May that Mrs. Geisel chaired a big money fundraising dinner for Planned Parenthood at the Harbor Island Sheraton.

8 Likes

This is seen as unlikely, since HHAW came out in 1954, way before the abortion battle had yet reached wide cultural visibility. It wasn’t a battle, as such: it was illegal or severely curtailed in 46 of 48 states.

The phrase not idea. Because to be anti-abortion it’s not enough to think the speck is a person, you also have to kind of believe on some level the woman isn’t. I mean, you don’t really see them demanding anyone else risk their health or give blood or lift a finger to help people any other contexts.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.