Rapper covers Dr. Seuss' "There's a Wocket in My Pocket!" with a Migos beat

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/06/rapper-covers-dr-seuss-th.html

2 Likes

I have a Wocket in My Pocket right now.

1 Like

that’s the most fun I’ve had all week.

5 Likes

This reminds me of “Dylan Hears A Who” from 2007. That Dylan/Seuss mashup was quickly squashed by the Seuss estate’s lawyers, so I would expect some sort of legal action to happen here also.

3 Likes

Is that what the kids call it these days?

2 Likes

[get off my lawn]
I love Dr. Seuss but he tailored his rhymes to four-year-olds. So, I mean, I get that it sounds like sour grapes when I say that all these contemporary rappers’ flows is preschool, but for them to literally document it and even flaunt it seems like vindication to me, although that criticism seems lost on the rappers themselves.
[/get off my lawn]

1 Like

I dunno, I thought it was cute.

And to be fair, when he started writing his books (Seuss) there was nothing else like them in children’s literature. We all grew up on them and don’t think much about them being special or out of the ordinary today, but they were groundbreaking when they came out, because of it’s clever use of language that really drew kids in and didn’t condescend to them. He’s one of the people (along with Mr. Rogers, Jim Henson, and Levar Burton) who helped to create the modern landscape of children’s literature and entertainment that didn’t treat kids as less intellectually capable because they were kids.

But I’m stepping off your lawn! :wink:

2 Likes

I was at a combination academic/State Poetry Association discussion about the most influential English language poet of the 20th and early 21st century poet and the one with the most staying power. The moment someone said “Dr. Seuss”. It was drop-the-mic. Everyone agreed and moved on to the next topic.

3 Likes

nah, I guess it was cute in a way and as I said I like Seuss. Obviously there’s more going on with him than Hickory-Dickory-Dock or what-have-you. but this just plays directly into the hands of the argument of old guys like me that rap got simplified is all. It was a little too on-the-nose not to see it in those terms, for me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.